Easy chimney extension question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
Hello,

I think I'd like to try and extend the height of the chimney 2 or 3'.

Two reasons -
Too often the smoke from my stack tumbles right down the shingles and into the front yard. My neighbor on the left has a stack surely 10' higher and his smoke will generally go up and stay there.

The other bit is that the Jotul will let smoke out of the door if it's open more than a crack. This means I have to plan every open door maneuver well in advance to avoid the acrid aftermath. The smoke breather downstairs generally doesn't care if the door is open or not concerning smoke coming out. I know they're two different animals, but for the time being, older is better in this concern, and I'd like to be able to be less serious about having to shut that door immediately.

I'm guessing stainless is better than galvanized, and being sure the chimney follows the 3-2-1 rule (or however that goes), I haven't been able to stumble across how high you can go before it needs to be braced.

I know it's a crapshoot to predict how these things work, but the reading I've done so far makes me think that the effect of height on draft is linear, so more will always be better, and the roofline is on the N-S axis, so a little higher might help uncouple the stack from the roof when the west winds blow.

Of course I can't find my Jotul folder right now, but it's a one-story chimney, masonry, 3' above the roof line, so maybe 15' of liner. The roof is a really gently slope.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg

Is the liner insulated? Anything over 5 feet needs bracing.

Reactions: Soundchasm
The odds are a 3 ft extension would make a nice difference. I would go ahead and try it.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Is the liner insulated? Anything over 5 feet needs bracing.

I need to be careful. I'm sure the Jotul liner is insulated, but I want to make sure I get the diameter right. I think the old stove is 8" stainless steel and probably uninsulated, but I think the new Jotul is 6" and I'm sure it's insulated.

Am I just looking for a 3' section of the same rigid pipe with the same cap put back on?

My installer keeps office hours Tu-Fr, so I'll call him and see what he has to offer. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.