Easy off oven cleaner for glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

krav51

Sep 28, 2015
glenmoore pa
Ive used this to clean the soot off the glass on my old Dutchwest insert for 3 years and it works great.Wanted to check in here before using it on my new Lopi to see if there are any long term downsides to it.Thanks

It's fine. As long as you aren't using pumice stone to wipe it off, you can use it for the next 50 years and it won't harm the glass. The active ingredient is lye, and even if it were 10x more concentrated, the glass wouldn''t bothered by it at all.

If you are concerned about the oven cleaner. Tractor Supply, Home Depot or online etc carries "Rutland Conditioning Glass Cleaner", small dab on a damp cloth/paper towel, which cleans and leaves a protective coating that makes the following cleaning easier. Non scratching as well. I've been using the same small bottle for about 3 yrs.

Been using oven cleaner for years w/o a problem.

Burn it right with good wood and you really should not have to clean the glass more than just wiping off ash

By the way, you really want to keep that stuff away from anything aluminum. It really, really likes aluminum. It will eat it faster than a fat man downing hot dogs at a county fair contest, and belch pure hydrogen gas all the while.

Status
Not open for further replies.