Easy Score (Scrounge)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mudbug250

Burning Hunk
Dec 17, 2011
Central Mississippi
Next door neighbor had a huge oak to go down in some high winds last week. This was in his pasture right next to my house, about 100 yards away. The base of the tree was 36" in diameter. The trunk up to the first set of limbs was worthless. It had been hollowed out by black army ants, thus causing it to break off at the base during the storm. I cut up all the big stuff (I don't like messing with the small limbs). I skidded the logs to the fenceline with my kawasaki mule. The went on my side of the fence and pulled them to my side under the fence. I have everything cut into 16" length rounds right now. I would estimate I have 75 to 100 rounds ranging in size from 10"-24" in diameter.

While cutting this tree, I had a near miss. I was limbing the top of the tree, and grazed my thigh right above the knee as the chain was coming to idle. It ripped my pants and just scratched my leg. But it scared me enough that the next day, I went and bought me some Stihl saw chaps.

Reactions: pen and Jack768
I know. I try to pride myself of being as safe as possible. But now I know I need the PPE regardless. I usually hit the chain break whenever moving or clearing the small stuff out of the way. But for whatever reason I did not. But now I get to cut in style with my orange chaps.

Reactions: Jack768
Sometimes a near miss is a good thing. Smartens us up . Glad it was only a scratch.

Nice score & set up.
That many big rounds & splits are gonna make a great picture :)

Reactions: Realstone
monty-python-black-knight.jpg careful, you dont want to end up like the Black Night!

Next door neighbor had a huge oak to go down in some high winds last week. This was in his pasture right next to my house, about 100 yards away. The base of the tree was 36" in diameter. The trunk up to the first set of limbs was worthless. It had been hollowed out by black army ants, thus causing it to break off at the base during the storm. I cut up all the big stuff (I don't like messing with the small limbs). I skidded the logs to the fenceline with my kawasaki mule. The went on my side of the fence and pulled them to my side under the fence. I have everything cut into 16" length rounds right now. I would estimate I have 75 to 100 rounds ranging in size from 10"-24" in diameter.

While cutting this tree, I had a near miss. I was limbing the top of the tree, and grazed my thigh right above the knee as the chain was coming to idle. It ripped my pants and just scratched my leg. But it scared me enough that the next day, I went and bought me some Stihl saw chaps.

Ouch! Glad you are okay.

The trunk of that tree should still make for some excellent wood. Just don't burn or cut where it is hollow. :confused: Don't let it go to waste. Hope you didn't get too much dirt in those logs by skidding them. If so, you can use a wire brush before you make the cut or even spray water. Whatever works.

Blue Vomit...Funny, I definitely don't want to look like him.

BackWoods....The grass was high in the neighbors yard, so the logs really did not get to dirty while skidding them out. But they did kind of gouge the ground when pulling them under the fence. But I did spray them off with a water hose before cutting them to length. I might think about going back and working on the trunk. It is still attached a little by the base, and is suspended in the air by a big limb that stuck in the ground when it fell. I want to get the tractor over there and pull it all the way to the ground before I cut on the truck. I just don't know how the trunk will react when cutting it with the rotten middle.

I read that there are 12,000 chainsaw leg contact injuries per year in the US, while there are less than 2000 kickback injuries per year. Puts things in perspective. The only problem with chainsaw chaps is that they don't work when you don't wear them. It's easy to tell yourself you don't need them for "this quick job."

Had a honeylocust log roll while I was bucking it up last fall and my chain hit my knee. Tore my Jeans cut my kneecap requiring 6 or 7 stitches, and scared the crap out of me. now I own a pair of husky chaps from Lowes and put them on whenever I cut.

mudbug

glad you're ok.

chaps are great peace of mind, i know 2 guys...one arborist and one woodcutter who said that chaps saved their legs. they're intolerable in hot weather so i just try to be doubly careful when i don't have them on.

Reactions: Jack768
mudbug

glad you're ok.

chaps are great peace of mind, i know 2 guys...one arborist and one woodcutter who said that chaps saved their legs. they're intolerable in hot weather so i just try to be doubly careful when i don't have them on.

Also glad to hear you're OK mudbug.

IMO chaps are Uncomfortable in hotweather. Cutting my leg open is Intolerable.

mudbug

glad you're ok.

You could try cutting with only your chaps on in the summer, no pants or underwear. Much cooler, and you might make some new friends!

Husqvarna (and others I think) make summer weight cut resistant pants,same protection as regular chaps.Washable too.I seen a few chainsaw carvers wear chaps over regular denim or khaki shorts also in hot weather.

I seen a few chainsaw carvers wear chaps over regular denim or khaki shorts also in hot weather.
I did this while I was bucking the logs after I skidded them out. It was a little more comfortable in the heat.

Here are some pics of my pile of rounds waiting to be s/s. I went to look at the big trunk today, and it has settled to the ground and rolled a little. So I am gonna try to cut it up this weekend.
IMG_0111.JPG IMG_0112.JPG

Notice the bad leaner in the background. That is my neighbors too. We have to get it down before it falls on the fence and the dog pen just to the left of the picture. Good thing is it is right next to my wood pile!

I migh get to get started on s/s the pile of rounds today.

Reactions: PapaDave
Did not get to s/s today but did add about 30 rounds to the pile.
Our church had a free that I cut down that was overhanging
Where we were gonna put a basketball goal. It was a white oak.
Will try to start s/s tomorrow.

Nice Score! While you are on a safety kick buy a hat also! I can't stress the importance of wearing one anytime you are felling something. Had a good buddy who was an expert at felling take a limb to his head without his hat, thirty stitches later, a major concussion, bleeding on the brain, a week long hospital stay and 3 months of missed work later he is doing fine but anything can happen to the best of us. PLEASE take the PPE seriously! You only get one chance at this life make it count.

Nice Score! While you are on a safety kick buy a hat also! I can't stress the importance of wearing one anytime you are felling something. Had a good buddy who was an expert at felling take a limb to his head without his hat, thirty stitches later, a major concussion, bleeding on the brain, a week long hospital stay and 3 months of missed work later he is doing fine but anything can happen to the best of us. PLEASE take the PPE seriously! You only get one chance at this life make it count.

Went and got a Stihl hat with the ear protection and face shield today.

Status
Not open for further replies.