Easy way to ID black locust-UV light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Littledog

Feb 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
I saw a video of black locust glowing under a UV light. It’s one of very few woods that will react. So I had to try for myself, I bought a 365nm UV flashlight on Amazon and wow it looks amazing. Here’s a few pieces beside some ash and elm to compare

6CA332B6-F0A4-4B7B-8E2C-72CE93F8C8D8.jpeg

Wow.

That is fascinating! My favorite firewood. Sadly, all my locust trees died in the blight, and in a year all the locust will be gone.

Reactions: clancey
Locust gets glowing reviews! It's essentially a big pea plant.

Lol, that's a denigrating characterization for such good firewood ;-)

Learned two new things, locust fluoresces and is a legume bearing plant.
It actually produces it's own nitrogen like beans or any legume and grows very fast. I planted a small 3 ft tall sapling 5 years ago. About 15' tall now. A fast growing tree that produce hard wood.

20220220_073422.jpg

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
They do grow fast. I had hundreds of 'em 25 years ago when I bought my property. The blight came through 20 years ago and killed them all. The only ones I have left are sprouts coming out of stumps, where I cut the tree down 24 years ago. Weird tree, the small ones have huge thorns.

If id known that in college I would have figured out a way to make furniture out of it.

They do grow fast. I had hundreds of 'em 25 years ago when I bought my property. The blight came through 20 years ago and killed them all. The only ones I have left are sprouts coming out of stumps, where I cut the tree down 24 years ago. Weird tree, the small ones have huge thorns.

Check out the thorned version of the honey locust

Explains my increase in clinkers when burning that wood

Hearth Halloween Special!!!!

That black light is making me freak out. Turn on, tune in, and drop out.