eBay - Pellets $215-193.50/ton in New York ...hmmmm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Just saw this ad on eBay. Not much info except pricing. I sent them some questions about the pellets and shipping costs. Will post their answer when (and if) I get it. They are brand new to eBay, and have NO feedback history at all.

If anyone knows where this place is (ad says Lockport, NY), please post.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...70&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_500wt_1154

EDIT: Here's the questions I asked:

"Hello,

Can you tell me what brand name these pellets go by? Also,
what are their specifications? Ash amount, BTU output, size
(diameter & average length), are they hardwood, softwood, or a
blend? If they are a blend, what are the percentages of each?

You also list a $47 shipping cost...is this per ton, or per order?
How far away will you deliver? How are they shipped?

Thank you"

An interesting variety of pellets available on their website...

Any self respecting pellet pig would surely take them up on the "free sample" offer posted on their website...

ASH CONTENT 0.5 - 3.0 % :mad: >:-( :gulp: :-S

cncpro said:
An interesting variety of pellets available on their website...

Any self respecting pellet pig would surely take them up on the "free sample" offer posted on their website...

ASH CONTENT 0.5 - 3.0 % :mad: >:-( :gulp: :-S

I agree its a wide margin on the ash volume. I would hate to get stuck with a ton that had 3%. I certainly would pay $215 for a ton with 3% either. Sounds like they are using some iffy fiber at best!

Wonder if they actually send samples? I would do a test on the ash volume if they did send me some(in the fall anyway).

Hope this is not another "fly by nite" company taking deposits for ghost pellets...
Seems to be atleast one every year where people get bent over. Why am I suspicious?

Listings on ebay and craigslist.
Web presence is brand new and very vague.
No physical address listed
Taking deposits online
Low priced unknown pellets

Maybe I am wrong about them, but.....

tinkabranc said:
Hope this is not another "fly by nite" company taking deposits for ghost pellets...
Seems to be atleast one every year where people get bent over. Why am I suspicious?

Listings on ebay and craigslist.
Web presence is brand new and very vague.
No physical address listed
Taking deposits online
Low priced unknown pellets

Maybe I am wrong about them, but.....

How soon we forget about the shady deals out there, Good tip there tink! I for one only prebuy(and the money isn't due until I pick them up) from trusted dealers. I'll take the safe bet anyday! Not worth losing a buck to save a nickle! :sick:

This reminds me of last years Plattsburg, Albany super pellet deal. I went to that location and no one in any of the adjacent businesses ever heard of a pellet operation. "keep your friends close and your wallet even closer" I always say. Don't pay for anything even a single dime until you are within punching distance.

I just e-mailed these people about the sample, so I will see if I hear from them. Lockport, NY is just north of Buffalo, I live 15 min from Lockport. The things that make me wonder about them is 1) The phone #, there is only one nunber that has the (716) aera code, which is ours they say it is a local busness but, the other aera codes I have no clue were they are from. 2) is there is no listing in the phone book for them. they could be new or its a fly by night (scam) thing. Time will tell. If I find any more out I will let everyone know.

just got back another reply from them:

Our samples are 5 pounds. You can choose two kinds. We carry two hardwoods and
one softwood. Call 716 410 0022 to schedule a time to pick them up. My New York
sales leaders name is Toby.
------Original Message------
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: samples
Sent: Jun 24, 2010 1:20 PM

---- [email protected] wrote:
> You can pick them up. You would have to drive to Fredonia though.
>

ok that is not bad I could do that next week could i have the address and what
would I be getting for the sample? hope not a hand full.
thank you, jim

I dont think you can make a jugement with only 5 lbs and they still dont give an address.

If the samples are in unmarked 5lb paper bags, be careful. For as long as there are folks who think cheapest is the best for pellets (not most of the folks on these forums obviously) there will be vendors who will take advantage. Saving $20 a ton or $80 a year sounds so great until you get stuck seeing what the down side is. Sometimes cheaper isnt cheaper and I try to tell my clients that all the time

Franks said:
Saving $20 a ton or $80 a year sounds so great until you get stuck seeing what the down side is. Sometimes cheaper isnt cheaper ........

Very well said. How much is your labor worth in cleaning time! I agree on testing them first. But you gotta know what your testing. They could sub a super premiem for the samples and you would think your getting good pellets. Then the dream ended when the actual stuff arrived! I would have to see them remove them from the actual un opened bag to trust the sample.

Unless you have a stove that can burn any pellet, Better to stick with the known good brands. Even with a stove that tolerated ichy stuff, I still would not buy any large quantities!

How many people here have gotten stuck with junk and suffered through a season??? Please stand up! Post your night mares please! I know there's more than a few!

Buy the good stuff, You stove will love ya for it!

oh I was not going to get these. I have way to much time on my hands and thaught i would look into it to maybe save someone the time & money for getting crap. That is one thing I have learned from everyone in here BE CAREFULL ON WHAT YOU BUY cheep doesnt allways mean good. thaught I would help out my fellow pellet heads out there. take care all. jim

Status
Not open for further replies.