Ebay splitters - are they any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooserider

Mod Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006
Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
My left elbow has been giving me a lot of trouble this summer when I split wood. It gets extremely sore to the point where after a couple hours splitting, I find moving it painful for the next few days. I finally went to see a Dr. about it, and essentially was told to hang up the sledge and go with a power splitter.

So we are looking for a splitter to do our wood with.

I'm estimating that I will be needing to produce 6-8 cords a year, probably mostly oak and maple, but with some elm and other random woods thrown in. Some of the rounds I've come up with in the past have been more than three foot diameter, and my ideal cut length is 18-20"

This is IMHO more than one can readily handle with any of the small electrics, and I don't think the big electrics are a wise choice on balance.

From all the discussion here, I'm convinced that our best bet is to go with a gas engine hydraulic that can operate in horizontal or vertical mode, and offers at least 20 ton splitting force... I haven't seen anything that suggests there are major reasons to prefer any particular brand in a given size range...

Looking on E-bay, there are a few people selling new splitters, which appear to be IDENTICAL to the splitters that Harbor Freight is selling, at approximately comparable prices, some higher, some lower. From the descriptions and photos the units sound good - Subaru/Robin engines, Haldex pumps, 25" log capacity, H/V operation, etc.

The design looks pretty good as well - rather than having the tank be the axle like some units (which causes concern about hitting bumps while trailering and causing leaks...) it appears that there is a platform with the tank sitting on it, and the tank is used as the support for the main beam, which has the hitch on the end. The engine and pump sit on the platform next to the tank - seems like this would relieve some of the concerns about bouncing down the road stressing the tank welds. There might be an issue w/ splits falling on the engine / hydraulics in Horizontal mode, but this doesn't concern me all that much as I'm planning on operating mostly in Vertical. (It also looks like the unit might need less storage space in vertical mode - anyone know if this is the case?)

The HF units, with cheapest prices (not counting freight, HF wants $75, E-bay sellers $97-125):
6HP, 22 Ton, ($999 both places)
9HP, 24 Ton, ($1178 on E-bay)
9HP, 30 Ton, ($1299 at HF)

A few questions...

1. Any reason not to go with any of the above units (assuming they are best price, etc.)

2. Is it worth the extra to go from 22 Ton to either of the larger units? (How much is bumping up worth in general?)

3. Any other suggested splitter bargains?

4. Mass. is nasty about requiring registration, lights, fenders, etc. on anything towed, plus we don't currently have a trailer hitch on our mini-van, which has a 48" interior width, and approx. 39" interior height. Given that we won't be moving the splitter very often, it would be far easier for us to carry it in the van, avoiding the expense / hassles of getting a trailer hitch and dealing with the state on registration, etc. HF says all its units are approx 43" wide, and 38" tall, does anyone know if these are for the assembled splitters, or just for the shipping crate? (Also does this size apply to most spliters?) I am assuming that I'd load with the aid of a couple of ramps that could be strapped on the roof if needed...

ART

Sorry to hear about the elbow... stuff like that happens when you depend on Norwegian steam to split wood.

Goose that HF one for 999 seems like a good deal for 22tons...just say'en I don't think you really need a lot of HP cause the engine just mostly idles anyway with the pump doing most of the work.

We have an older low profile model, the splitting bar is like maybe 8in off the ground so we mostly split sitting down, with bigger 30" rounds we roll 'em up on a ramp of splits and they're an easy take. Being low to the ground means splits don't get any momentum when they hit your toes...something to consider. I saw a possible replacement to the one I am comfortable using now ...it's the yellow powertex one pictured in the post on the new ms361 saw. Also since it's low profile we roll it up on to a truck bead for a big move.

I agree the HF units are looking better all the time... Of the places I've checked, so far the HF units and the Speeco/Husky models from Tractor Supply are the best price models. Over on Arboristsite, everyone seems to like the TSC splitters, with mixed reviews on the HF units - the word there is that the HF units are good overall, but have a tendency for the cylinders to leak - however HF is reportedly good about supplying replacement cylinders. Flip side is the TSC units have B&S;engines that reportedly need to be run full speed all the time (noisy and sucking down the gas!), while the HF unit has a Robin / Subaru engine, that can be run just off idle most of the time, only giving it gas if you really need to for a gnarly split, and is supposedly a better engine as well, quieter running, and better on gas.

TSC has the advantage of potentially having the units assembled, and including the fluids, but I'd have to go pick it up - and their website doesn't give dimensions to tell me if it would fit in the back of our mini-van.
HF I could get it delivered to my door (possibly at an extra fee for a lift gate truck) but would have to assemble it (not all that big a deal) and get the fluids to go into it... (another $100 on the price)

The other nice thing I like about the HF unit is that it looks very much from the pictures like it would have a smaller storage area requirement - The TSC units are essentially trailers and look like there is no way to get the length reduced very much. With the HF unit, it looks like if you store it with the cylinder vertical, it will take an area that isn't much bigger than the wheels and the cylinder - say about 3x4' instead of 4x8', which would be a nice space savings...

My other dilemma is which size to get... There is only about a $300 difference between the 22 and 30 ton units, and I get a sizable number of big and / or gnarly rounds... There is a definite Arboristsite contingent that says to get the biggest splitter you can, while others are happy with their 20 ton range units. Reportedly there isn't much fuel consumption difference between the 6 and 9 HP engines, and the higher power can make a difference. (Not to mention the ever-present satisfaction of having bigger toys...)

Gooserider

I have the 30 ton HF splitter if you want to know anything about it.
I will say that it was $1000 a couple of years ago.

velvetfoot said:
I have the 30 ton HF splitter if you want to know anything about it.
I will say that it was $1000 a couple of years ago.

VF, I've read your comments here and on Arboristsite with interest, and appreciate the reviews you've given... I'm sure it was cheaper a few years back, but given how the Fed has screwed us on inflation, going up $300 isn't that bad... I guess my questions for you would be

1. Did the situation w/ regard to the leaking cylinder get resolved OK?

2. Otherwise are you happy with the machine?

3. Do you think the step from 22 tons to 30 tons would be worth the $300 difference in cost?

4. A couple of dimension questions - 1. How wide x how tall is it when moving - HF lists some dimensions on their website, (about 43" wide, 38" tall) are those for the shipping container, or the assembled unit? (trying to figure if we could put it in our van if need be)

5. What is the minimum storage footprint? From the photos, thanks to putting the trailer hitch on the beam end, it looks like the unit could be stuck in a corner with the cylinder vertical and take up relatively little floorspace. (as compared to units with a seperate trailer tongue)

6. Anything you wish they'd told you in the catalog descriptions, but didn't?

Gooserider

GR,

1. I would say yes. The leak eventually subsided to just about nothing and I never installed the new cylinder they sent me (sitting in a box in the garage.)

2. Yes, but I don't know if continued splitting from tri-axle logs are in the cards for me. It didn't cost an arm and a leg more to have it delivered split and it killed a good chunk of the short summer, but the price probably changes from year to year. I'll be able to split the occasional stuff I might get.

3. I doubt it. It has the same Robin motor, doesn't it? I love that motor.

4. I could extrapolate some numbers, but the splitter is in a corner of the garage.

5. I'll try to measure it tonight. It's in a pretty small space with the cylinder vertical.

6. Not really. It seems pretty substantial. Love the engine. The control valve wasn't staying put, and they sent me a new valve, but I wound up turning something around and it held more regularly so now I have a spare valve. I think the valve is in use generally so I think others might have had the same issue. I only put about 7 cords through it, so it's not a long-term test. I use a dolly with a hitch ball on it from HF that makes it easier to move around-it is heavy. How would you get it up the ramp into the van?

I feel your pain! I literally gave myself whiplash when trying to split a tough piece of elm by hand. My chiropractor told me that I was done splitting by hand also. :gulp:

We bought a Swisher 28 ton splitter with a 10 1/2 B&S;. I looked long and hard on-line, and almost pulled the trigger a couple of times, I decided to buy locally, for just a tiny bit more money, by the time I added in shipping to the price of the on-line splitter.

I love this splitter, I am able to take and use wood that others just look at, and pass on. I cut and split some twisted, snarly, Locust that was an honest 36 to 40 inches across the round. :bug: That piece in particular finally gave me reason to run the motor over 1/4 throttle. The wedge never stopped, but it grunted a bit going through that nasty stuff. It cut as much as split most of that round and it performed beautifully! :) If I can physically move the wood to the splitter I can split it. That is a very good feeling.

You may never find out if you have too much splitter, but if you don't have enough, you will find out in short order. Get the most powerful splitter you can almost afford and you will not regret it.

Gooserider said:
TSC has the advantage of potentially having the units assembled, and including the fluids, but I'd have to go pick it up - and their website doesn't give dimensions to tell me if it would fit in the back of our mini-van.

For the Huskee 22 you'll need at least 48" width and these suckers are heavy, I had TSC load mine (assembled) into a trailer with a fork lift. Using ramps would be a bear, especially if you ever plan on moving it again.

I suggest installing a hitch, do it yourself and you can save some money, and then just tow it home and forget about registering it. If you get pulled over bringing it home (unlikely) show the receipt, if they decide to write a ticket (again, unlikely) it would still be cheaper than yearly fees. You will be glad to have a hitch even for moving your splitter short distances say to the end of the driveway or up any grade.

Goose if there is an HF somewhere around they will ship the splitter to that store with the stock order and there isn't a freight charge. As to size, my 20 ton has split the biggest rounds I can ever imagine somebody jackassing under a splitter wedge. When you come up against a tough guy you do it just like a maul. Put some pressure on it. Let off the handle and rinse and repeat and it beats its way through just like a maul. I retired the B&S;engine on mine last year and put the little 6.5 horse HF engine on it just because the whole engine was less and more available than the bracket that was broken on the Briggs. Love that little engine. They are Honda knock-offs down to the point that Honda internal parts fit'em.

The other poster is right, you do not want to be trying to push that heavy SOB up a ramp. Good way to get hurt and have a splitter end up in the driveway across the street.

Get one of those puppies. I went hydraulic when I thought I had, at an early age, inherited Dad's arthritis in my shoulders. Bought the splitter and the pain went away. For ever action there is etc. etc.

I didn't think there were any HF stores in MA, but the website says they now have one in Worcester - not that far from us... I don't know how the catalog and website manage to avoid charging MA sales tax, just glad they do... Of course presumably if I picked it up at the store, I'd have to pay tax instead of freight. :mad: The nearest TSC is about 40 miles away in Merrimack NH - Good thing is this means that we usually take advantage of the wonderful 5% discount you get from shopping in Sales-Tax free NH, or via mail order - downside is paying freight... Of course I'd rather give my money to the shipping company than the gov't - the shipping company won't use the $$$ to make my life worse...

I agree that a trailer hitch on the mini-van would occasionally be useful, but I'm not sure I'd want to drag a splitter home from NH just because of the distance - especially a model that uses the hydraulic tank as an axle... It would take forever on the back roads and would seem like real "cop-bait".

However I am pretty sure that if we can get it in, at the dealer, I can get it back out safely - that's what they make come-a-longs for! :coolgrin: Basic plan - put a 2x? through the front windows of the van to give me an anchor point, put the come-a-long between the the 2x? and the splitter, roll splitter backwards down the ramps, controlling the descent w/ the come-a-long... Reverse process if I ever need to take it somewhere... Once I got it in the yard, I can move it around with the lawn tractor - though I'd be tempted to remove the trailer hitch, and put on a pin hitch to fit the tractor and make it harder for someone to "aquire" the unit without permission...

Of course If I pay to have HF deliver, then it's a moot point, IMHO the big advantage of mail order is that things appear on your doorstep.

VF - there is a significant amount of difference between the 22 and 30 ton units - the 22 uses a smaller, 6HP engine (but still a Robin/Subaru), an 11gpm pump, and a 4 or 4.5" cylinder (I've seen mixed statements on this, the download manual says both the 22 and 24 use the same cylinder) the 24 ton goes to the 9HP engine, but keeps the 11gpm pump - per all the hydraulics discussions I've seen, I'm not sure if there would really be ANY performance difference betwen the 22 and the 24 ton units - the operating force is a function of cylinder size, and the manual says both have 4.5" cylinders - the pump should be driven by an engine w/ 1/2 hp per gpm, so a 6HP motor should be all you need for an 11gpm pump - so what do you get for going to a bigger oversize on the motor? :-S OTOH, the 30 ton has a bigger 5" cylinder, a bigger 16gpm pump, and the 9hp engine which is a good match for the pump... Oddly enough, the big price jump is between the 22 and 24 ton models, it is only about another $50 to go to the 30 ton... Bottom line, the 22 or 30 ton units make sense, the 24 doesn't - the question is whether it makes sense to jump to the 30 ton.

I actually spent a good bit of today working with a friend using his older 20 ton MTD / Yard Machine splitter, which he has set up with a larger than original Honda motor and pump - his machine went through everything, but had a bit of trouble with some of the larger rounds (2'+) and especially some of the crotches - I had a half dozen or so rounds that I had to reposition a couple of times to make them go... He cuts his wood slightly shorter than I do, and I have some rounds that are much bigger diameter - and also get a lot of crotches and gnarly stuff... (He seems to think I'd be better off with the 30, and lots of other folks are saying it is better to go big if the price difference is reasonable...

I've also had at least one NH store tell me they could do a 27 ton Troy-Bilt (aka MTD?), w/ fluids and a 2-yr warrantee for $1450 (HF doesn't seem to have warrantee info on the website or in the manual)- and it would fit in the back of the van... More money but balances out fairly well w/ cost for the HF plus freight and fluids... Still slightly more, and I don't like the design as much, but fairly local sales & service, possibly better warrantee, etc...

May make some more calls but need to decide soon...

Gooserider

GR, I went out to the garage and measured the unit, which is in a vertical configuration in storage. It is about 42" from tire edge to tire edge, 42" deep, and 80" tall.

Yeah, my splitter couldn't go though, like 2 pieces, and then I had to turn up the throttle a notch. :)

I assembled it myself, but the instructions recommend at least two, which makes sense to me now. :) It is definately a plus to have it pre-assembled.
The fluid is also not cheap.

Maybe you could find a used one. I'm not selling mine, though I don't plan on using it much, but maybe you could find someone else with a lightly used one who's lost the will, time, etc for diy splitting.

Used splitters of any sort seem to be pretty much non-existent - I found two on NH and Boston Craigs List, both were sold by the time I contacted the listers... I just had a friend that sold a used unit that I think was a 20 ton MTD, got $1100 for it - so it seems the used market is hot enough that I don't think there is advantage to going in that direction.

Thanks much for the measurement, VF - it sounds like the unit is narrow enough to go in the van, and the storage footprint sounds really perfect (BTW, was that 42" depth with or without the prop leg? It looks to me like the unit could stand perfectly well while being stored on just the beam end and the tires - maybe use two pins to hold the prop leg on so that it would be possible to just install it when needed for actual splitting?)

Not sure on the height, but that is probably not a problem either.

I know the fluids aren't cheap, but it shouldn't be that bad... I'm assuming approx $10 / Gallon as the cost for hydraulic fluid (that's what I saw mentioned in another fairly recent thread, and I've been conservatively assuming about 10 gallons - my budget estimate has been $100 added to the price for any splitter that doesn't say it comes with fluids... The manual says the 30 ton takes 2.5 gallons - don't know how true that is, but if so, that leaves me a lot of room in the budget for fluid...

I have mixed feelings on pre-assembling a unit - I can see that it might save some work, but at the same time I've seen multiple mentions of people having problems due to bad assembly - I figure if I put it together myself I can be sure it's either done right, or I know who to blame :red:

Gooserider

You know I didn't think about the leg. I think it's resting on wooden blocks and that distance doesn't include that prop leg.
I think it takes more fluid than that, despite what the 'book' says.
One picture below is when it is still on the pallet, with the packing taken off. That I beam was very heavy.
The other shows how I get it in position on those rams to put in the pin for the prop. As I recall, most times I just used the trailer dolly and kept it on those plastic Blitz Rhino ramps, with the beam in the vertical position.

Attachments

• PB280095.JPG
    PB280095.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 642
  • PC040120.JPG
    PC040120.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 656
Well given the rest of the size, I'd say the prop-leg is no big deal... Given that the GF and I have too much stuff in any case, (one of our standard household questions is "Where ARE you going to put it?") it looks like the smaller storage footprint is one of the units biggest selling points - I'm surprised HF doesn't mention it. Given the way there really isn't all that much difference between most splitters - this is a MAJOR differentiation factor that really separates the HF unit from the rest of the crowd, and in a good way - I don't know anyone that would object to needing only half the garage floor space!

Gooserider

Goose we just leave our splitter outside and tarp it when not in use...why garage it?

savageactor7 said:
Goose we just leave our splitter outside and tarp it when not in use...why garage it?

Well I figure keeping it out of sight keeps it from appealing to any potential sticky-finger types - (first rule of theft prevention - don't let them know there is anything to steal....) plus the GF insists... (more important!) %-P

Also while I don't think it does something like a splitter a great deal of harm to be kept outside, I doubt that it does it any good either... As is, if I can get rid of the two surplus of the three snowblowers I have, then I'd have the room to store an HF size unit in our portable garage, but not a full size trailer splitter.

Gooserider

Well as an update, I have reached a decision. We are getting one of the 30 Ton HF splitters. I ordered it on the 14th, and when I called to check on the status this afternoon, they said it should be delivered tomorrow, the 19th! Can't complain about the shipping time at all - usually HF takes about 2 weeks for stuff shipped normally.

The major decision points were the price / features ratio - the local budget offerings were either lower performance units (TSC, 20 ton, with a B&S;engine of unspecified hp) or had other suspect features (such as a 27 ton Troy-built w/ a 5hp engine, seems seriously underpowered / likely to have a long cycle time)

The HF unit uses a 9hp Subaru/Robin engine, which is reputedly much better than the B&S;units, and is a good size match for the 5" cylinder and 16GPM Haldex pump - all good parts, and a nice combo for power and cycle time...

Storage area - the other machines all are essentially trailers - and would take a lot of room to store, close to an effective 4' x 8', most of which is the toungue. The HF units, in what strikes me as a stroke of absolute brilliance, put the trailer hitch on the end of the beam, so that the toungue disappears when you tilt the beam upright - leaving a storage footprint of not much more than the axle width by about 40", or less than half the space.

The HF design also avoids using the tank as the axle, although it is still load bearing (the beam mounts to it). However it looks like this could be reinforced fairly easily if needed.

I am anxiously awaiting the machine, and will keep everyone updated on how it works as I learn more about it.

Gooserider

Well, good luck with the splitter!
The guy that delivered mine had a hydraulic lift on his trailer and a pallet jack, but that didn't travel too well over the gravel driveway.
We did get it into the garage though.
That beam is really heavy though, and if you can get some help to lift it up, I would.
I put in synthetic oil in the engine. If you are using Dextron because it is more viscous in the winter, you could say the same for synthetic engine oil.

velvetfoot said:
Well, good luck with the splitter!
The guy that delivered mine had a hydraulic lift on his trailer and a pallet jack, but that didn't travel too well over the gravel driveway.

Thanks VF, I have a paved drive so that shouldn't be much of an issue. Mostly I'll probably be putting it together where it lands though, as I don't have a lot of spare room in the garage.

We did get it into the garage though.
That beam is really heavy though, and if you can get some help to lift it up, I would.

I will keep that in mind, may recruit the neighbor if I need to - we help each other a fair bit on various heavy lifting type projects.

I put in synthetic oil in the engine. If you are using Dextron because it is more viscous in the winter, you could say the same for synthetic engine oil.

I don't really plan to run in the winter, but other discussion says Dextron is better for having some detergents and such in it, plus I like having the ability to run in the cold if I need to. - I figure the cost is likely going to be about the same no matter what I use, so might as well get the good stuff to start.

In terms of engine oil, I know there are all sorts of religious arguments about the subject, but I tend to go to the "Dino for break-in, then synthetic" church - and I figure it's going to be quite a while for the break-in. It will probably end up with synthetic, but probably not for a year or so.

Also I just called the freight company again, they said probably Monday...

Gooserider

I'm copying this to multiple threads that talk about the HF splitter as I feel it's important information - GR

I just got off the phone with Harbor Freight technical support and they gave me a very emphatic message - I was asking about the specs on the hydraulic fluid, as I could not find ANY information on what I should use in the actual manual… The tech support guy I talked with sounded like he knew what he was talking about (much better than some that I have encountered)

He gave two useful items of information - First off, even though the manual says the thing takes 2.5 gallons, it really will take more like 4.5 gallons.

More importantly, and most emphatically he said

DO NOT use DEXRON III or Mercon III ATF!!!

The given reason being that the ATF’s have a solvent in them that does not like the nitrile seals being used in the valve - actually he wasn’t 100% clear on whether it was the seals inside the valve, or the ones at the hose/valve body junctions, but either way, he said that the use of ATF would cause the seals to rapidly get eaten, and cause leaks…

The HF recomended fluid is AW 32 Hydraulic oil - other hydraulics would work, but aren’t as suitable.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.