Echo CS-400 care and feeding?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2007
The other day at Home Cheapo I picked up an Echo CS-400 with an 18" bar. I needed to take a few limbs down as well as cut down some stumps in my yard prior to grinding. Since I'm planning on purchasing a stove in the near future anyway I decided to forgo renting and buy a saw. I know, I know, it's not a pro saw, but I'm on a budget and this seemed like a good compromise between the "homeowner" saws there (Homelite, etc...) and a Stihl or other professional saw. Anyway, it's working great for what I need so far, but I've never owned a chainsaw before and I want to make sure that it's properly cared for. First of all I tried to re-tension the chain after using it for the first time because it seemed quite slack. I tightened it as recommended (so that the guide "teeth" could not be pulled completely out of the track on the bar) and started the saw. It seemed to bog down when I tried to cut with it and even a bit as I revved the saw in the open air. I loosened the chain just a little (the guide teeth can now be barely pulled out of the track) and it seemed to perform much better. The oiling system seems to be working fine.

My next question is gas-the manual calls for 89 octane but all I had laying around to mix with was 87. How much of a difference does it make? Is 89 necessary? Finally, how often should the chain be sharpened? Is it worth having a professional do it or can I just get the proper files and do it myself?

Get a 5/32" file and sharpen yourself. After every tank for a touch up. If you really rock one out, it will be time for a professional and a good grinder sharpening. I don't know where your at but here 89 octane is 10% ethonol so I run 93 in my saws. Stihl HP Ultra is the synthetic oil I use.

When you are setting the chain, pick-up the powerhead and let the bottom of the tip rest on the log. Adjust the tensioner until you can pull on the bottom of the chain and see 3 or so drive links come out of the rail but not completely out and free. In other words, you want a little slack but not so much that you can run the chain out of the bar rail.

And finally, don't go back to Home Cheapo and buy any chain. I imagine your running 91 series chain and the chain it came with is probably Oregon VG. Don't waste your money buying anymore of it. Look up the thread on the the realative quality of Oregon chain and read that.

Status
Not open for further replies.