ECO-65 Report...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone..

Here's some number after a good week-end for testing
this new install. It was -4F with windchill of -22F, house is 2450 SQFT.
builded in 2002.

The ECO-65 is in the furnace room with the door open so that the heat
can get out and take the stair and reach the first floor. I also have the oil furnace
blower running all the time.

A basement of 1020' and 1430' on first floor. I was able to keep the upstair
at 72F with the heater set at 2.., I heard the oil kick in once this morning for
a couple of minutes.

The basement which is made of 5 rooms has increased it's temperature by about
3-4 degrees compare to when I'm running Heat pump/Oil.

Burning Cubex and thermometer on top of glass door is showing 400F.

Currently waiting for the plenum Kit to possibly re-direct one register upstair
and one outside the furnace room in basement. Also waiting on a Skytec 3301
to use the HI/LO setting for hopefully a better efficiency....

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_2626 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2626 (Large).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 617
I would love to see a comparison on the Burn pots of the Eco-65 and say the P-61 or P-68 Harman.

Have you ever seen a Harman burn pot before?

Thats a beast of a heater. Glad its doing what it needs to do.

Does that model show the exhaust temp? I thought it did? Maybe I am mistaken.

Would love to see some close up pics of the burn pot and heat exchanger assembly.

Love the Heat!!! Enjoy the heat!!! ;-P

DexterDay said:
I would love to see a comparison on the Burn pots of the Eco-65 and say the P-61 or P-68 Harman.

Have you ever seen a Harman burn pot before?

Thats a beast of a heater. Glad its doing what it needs to do.

Does that model show the exhaust temp? I thought it did? Maybe I am mistaken.

Would love to see some close up pics of the burn pot and heat exchanger assembly.

Love the Heat!!! Enjoy the heat!!! ;-P

I've seen a Harman pot in some pic on this forum and I haven't seem the exhaust temp.
Here are some pic of the Pot and exchanger.

Regards.

Attachments

• IMG_2628 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2628 (Medium).jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_2631 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2631 (Medium).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_2633 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2633 (Medium).jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 503
I can't wait to see it with the plenum kit and ducting. Detailed photo's of plenum would be cool.

Have you feed it any cheap junk pellets to see how it handles them?

Looking good! ;-)

j-takeman said:
I can't wait to see it with the plenum kit and ducting. Detailed photo's of plenum would be cool.

Looking good! ;-)

Rated to burn High ash pellets. Although its not a true multi fuel model. Its seems like it might be a contender?

Thanks for the pics....Im with Jay, I wanna see more pics too!!

Lookin good....

Looks great! I'm still waiting for mine to arrive and get in installed. Should have it in this weekend. I'll get some pics up as well when I get it.

DexterDay said:
j-takeman said:

Looking good! ;-)

Rated to burn High ash pellets. Although its not a true multi fuel model. Its seems like it might be a contender?

Thanks for the pics....Im with Jay, I wanna see more pics too!!

Lookin good....

Soon to arrive and soon to be installed ;) and more Pic...
Only have Cubex to burn at this point, looking at "pelleting" my neighbour leafs

So here some pics of the plenum kit.

The before, during, and after, you will note that the front
heat exchanger doesn't get block completely for security reason
and also allow some BTU to stay where the heater is installed.

In case one of the register would get block, the heat would be able
to exhaust at the front.
Setting at two, I was reading 175F at the end of the register.

Any questions , do not hesitate.

Attachments

• IMG_2636 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2636 (Small).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_2638 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2638 (Small).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_2639 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2639 (Small).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_2641 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2641 (Small).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_2642 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2642 (Small).jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 561
Reactions: FyreBug
Love the Heat said:
Hello everyone..

builded in 2002.

can get out and take the stair and reach the first floor. I also have the oil furnace

at 72F with the heater set at 2.., I heard the oil kick in once this morning for
a couple of minutes.

Regards
No Air Kit? I would consider it, especially if the oil burner isn't OAK'D either.

Very Nice. Are you ducting both lines that you know that some heat will stay downstairs?

Thanks for the Pics.....

Does the Eco-65 have any "Tube" type exchanger's??

Or is it just a series of plates??

I do like the way the area of the stove still receives some heat with the gap in the front exchange...

smwilliamson said:
Love the Heat said:
Hello everyone..

builded in 2002.

a couple of minutes.

Regards
No Air Kit? I would consider it, especially if the oil burner isn't OAK'D either.

I do have a 5" coming into the room and a recommendation from SBI
that goes like this...
"The code does not allow 2 appliances on the same fresh air intake. However, the fresh air intake on the 65 is not scealed. So all you would have to do to satisfy both unit is to provide a fresh air intake to the house. Ie. Have the pipe come down the wall then put a 'goose neck' on the pipe so fresh air will only draw when the house calls for it. "

DexterDay said:
Very Nice. Are you ducting both lines that you know that some heat will stay downstairs?

Thanks for the Pics.....

Does the Eco-65 have any "Tube" type exchanger's??

Or is it just a series of plates??

I do like the way the area of the stove still receives some heat with the gap in the front exchange...

Definitely ducting both, and definitely one upstair, not sure if the second one will be downstair or upstair yet.
For a test last night with 34F outside I had both running outside the furnace room
and set on two, the heat in the stairwell was much more felt than before, it was basically a draft coming up.
The furnace room was much more comfortable at 87F as heat was directed out.

No tube exchanger, just a big sealed box....more like two boxes with a space between
where the air is pushed thru to get heated.

that goes like this...
"The code does not allow 2 appliances on the same fresh air intake. However, the fresh air intake on the 65 is not scealed. So all you would have to do to satisfy both unit is to provide a fresh air intake to the house. Ie. Have the pipe come down the wall then put a 'goose neck' on the pipe so fresh air will only draw when the house calls for it. "[/quote]

Could you explain this a little more? Does this mean install a fresh air pipe but do not attach to the stove?

DV said:
that goes like this...
"The code does not allow 2 appliances on the same fresh air intake. However, the fresh air intake on the 65 is not scealed. So all you would have to do to satisfy both unit is to provide a fresh air intake to the house. Ie. Have the pipe come down the wall then put a 'goose neck' on the pipe so fresh air will only draw when the house calls for it. "

Could you explain this a little more? Does this mean install a fresh air pipe but do not attach to the stove?[/quote]

Yes this is what I have...This way the fresh air in the furnace room can supply the heater and the oil furnace when needed.
I'm not saying it's better than a dedicated OAK to the ECO-65 but seems to be doing the job. My fresh air was a requirement
for the oil furnace as it's not attached directly.

Looks great! Is there any reason for the box duct work on top of stove? Looks like about 4 feet before it splits to the 2 ducts. Just wondering.

DV said:
Looks great! Is there any reason for the box duct work on top of stove? Looks like about 4 feet before it splits to the 2 ducts. Just wondering.

This is the part in my case 36" that is not included in the kit and the minimum is 15" that connects
to the split furnished in the kit.

It is a 4x10 that you have to provide to your need, in my case I wanted to shoot it up as much as I could
but respect clearance of 1 inch to the top of the 5 inch duct that will connect to the register...

Thanks. I picked up my eco 65 yesterday. Got it off my truck and down 11 stairs to my basement. That bad boy is heavy! Built like a tank! Think I tore a rotator cuff. I'm now waiting for my piping from Woodland Direct. I'm hoping it ships very soon?

DV said:
Thanks. I picked up my eco 65 yesterday. Got it off my truck and down 11 stairs to my basement. That bad boy is heavy! Built like a tank! Think I tore a rotator cuff. I'm now waiting for my piping from Woodland Direct. I'm hoping it ships very soon?

Yep...pretty heavy, in my case I had to go up 5 stairs with 2 friends and a commercial dolly.
Keep up the good work.

Congratulation on your purchase! Let us know how it goes and please post some pictures.

I'm not sure why the plenum is required. When I saw it being tested they were going through a bunch of safety tests and temp reading. So my guess is it has to do with UL safety codes but I'll ask engineering for the definite answers.

Also since the unit was designed to push a lot of warm air the heat exchanger had to be designed more for convecting than radiating heat. Much like a furnace it has a large surface area to do so. Besides its also easier to clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.