Eco Brick amazing when your sick !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

I loaded my stove with Eco Bricks today instead of wood because I am sick :sick: and am hoping they will burn longer so I can sit here and do nothing longer. When I loaded them in I did it different then when I tested them out a couple weeks ago for the fist time I literally dumped them in random and man what a difference they are still burning well.

Stove Top at 530 am 400F
Flu at 530 am 675F

Stove after load at 545 am 525F
Flue after load at 545 am 850F

Currently at 242 pm stove top 500F
Flue is at 800F

Wow this is making me rethink the advantages to Eco Bricks again. I won't ever give up on firewood though I love sawing chopping and nature to much.

Pete

No doubt the convenience factor is there and they are legitimate fuel. If I could find them on sale at something like $200/pallet (81 bags = 641 bricks = 2025 Lbs.) delivered I would buy a couple tons and just keep em for fire starters and days I didn't want to exert myself to carry wood in.

I would like to add a video of them burning does anyone know how to do that? I can't figure out how to add a video thats not from youtube or google the vid is on my computer.

Thanks
Pete

Pete, out of curiosity how many of them did you put it? Was it all in one load?
Just wondering....800 degrees flue temps would make me have a "Pause and Reflect" moment...but I have single wall so you must have double wall..
I have some of the ecos and envis and have been experimenting with them...but I have not filled the stove with either.
Hope ya feel better...

Gamma Ray

I started with 3 and got them burning good then laid them on there sides and pushed one up by the combusted on my stove and laid put 4 more in in a random order. I left the damper cracked until they all ignited then shut it and walked off when I came back I moved the air to half and left again. The last time I turned it al the way down and thats where its been all day since I am very Impressed I must say. Buy the way I love Gamma Ray the band. ;-)

Pete

Gamma Ray here are some pics for ya of the temps right now !! Its kin of hard to see cuz my camera sucks indoors but the red thrmo (flue) is just below 800 right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20111229_151547.jpg
    IMG_20111229_151547.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_20111229_151554.jpg
    IMG_20111229_151554.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG_20111229_151602.jpg
    IMG_20111229_151602.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 629
Is there no way to capture that heat escaping up the chimney? Like Gamma, I'd be shutting down at those levels and looking for an air leak.

800 on a probe thermometer is normal.

pen

My stove is a combuster stove these temps are fairly normal for a combuster stove. The back of my stove uses the combuster to burn gases and smoke (its a giant honey comb that ignites) which makes it ridiculously clean but hot as well it won't work properly at levels of a re-burn tube stove. The coal bed has to be 4 inches alone in order for the combuster to work I thought this was insane as well until I got used to the stove.

Pete

I really like them for longer burns. All of the TS stores around me are out of stock, so I'm going to try the brand Countrymax sells when the one near me gets theirs back in next week. I just found out they had them yesterday and called, and a local wood oven restaurant had just come and cleaned out his stock.

What a bummer electiccottage ! I hope you have good luck getting the Countryman eco bricks not many places carry them around here TSC and Menards is all I could find. They certainly have advantages when used right.

Good luck
Pete

I've been playing around with the ecobricks after a previous post. They're not bad, a little messy with sawdust on the hearth but can really crank out the heat, brought the house up from 60 to 70 on 8 bricks tonight, 30* out. I started out with 4 to get a thick layer of coals, and after two hours lay the other 4 tightly on top and the stove cruises at ~500. I timed 4 bricks on coals at 5hrs of nice heat, at 6hrs I had a hard time getting new bricks to light without help. Having my blower on high the whole time probably sucks time off what a stand alone stove could achieve. Have to check what tractor supply charges for a pallet in the off season.

I got up this morning at 426 am and the house is 69 plus there is more than enouph coal to start a good fire in the stove. Now I am super impressed !

Pete

pen said:
800 on a probe thermometer is normal.

pen

+whatever . . . I heat the house with my stove, not the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.