1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Econoburn Overheat Relay - Tieing 120v to existing 24v system

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by SIERRADMAX, Jan 3, 2013.


    SIERRADMAX Feeling the Heat

    Jan 13, 2011
    I understand the principle behind the 120v overtemp protection relay. However, I need to find out how to tie it into my existing system without adding zone valves/circulators.

    My current heating system uses 24v zone valves. Thermostat calls for heat, opens the zone valve and powers the circulator through an 8148 Aquastat Controller.

    Without adding a dedicated 120v zone valve for the overtemp relay, I would like to install a 24v step down transformer and tie the feed into an existing zone valve. In retrospect, making the wood boiler act as a thermostat. However, won't the feed from the existing thermostat back-feed through the newly added 120v/24v overtemp relay when the thermostat calls for heat, and vice-versa? Econoburn mentions that the overtemp relay is a rare occurance. And the chances are that both call at the same time is even more so.

    I've gotten several mentions of a rib relay but I'm unfamiliar with these and specifically which one would suite my application. Any suggestions?

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!

  2. b33p3r

    b33p3r Feeling the Heat

    Jan 29, 2008
    NE Pa
    I'm not sure what rib relay is? I used "Ice cube" relay. Run the 120 volt over temp signal to the coil of the relay. Then the 24v to thermostat can also be run to a N.O. contact on the relay. Come out of the N.O.Contact and to the zone valve that the thermostat controls. Now the thermostat or the overtemp from wood boiler will turn valve on.
  3. Bob Rohr

    Bob Rohr Minister of Fire

    Jan 9, 2008
    SW Missouri

    He is a unique double throw relay from RIB. I like the overide switches for those quick troubleshooting power ups. The standard RIB I can buy locally at Johnstone Supply. www.controlscentral.com has fairly good prices on the entire range.
    View attachment 87699

    Attached Files:

Share This Page