"Economy" Rear Venting Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike.O

Burning Hunk
Dec 20, 2017
Background: This is replacing my POS Federal Airtight FC224. Insulated 25' liner installed two years ago so that would remain. Fireplace is in great shape and its tile on concrete in front of the hearts, so I's stick out the new stove pretty far. I live in a raised ranch and this is downstairs in a large open hangout room (Finished) which has an open stairway to the upstairs. I have a PE Summit upstairs that does the heavy lifting all year. This stove would be burned average 2-3 times a week.
IMG_0107.jpg

Is there any "economy" rear venting wood stove available? Something similar to Englander or Drolet. I know these two manufacturers don't make them. I just helped my friend install a Drolet Columbia in his house and for the cost it looks like a great stove. Would love something similar in rear vent

Ideally I'd be after a +/- 2.0 CF box and really not after a cat stove. Jotul F400 or F500 would be my dream setup, but its hard to swing that cost for a second stove.

Any thoughts on something out there that I haven't found? Or is rear vent just a more expensive stove setup?

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't think of any cheap rear vent stoves. What is wrong with the Dutch west? For their age they are good stoves

I can't think of any cheap rear vent stoves. What is wrong with the Dutch west? For their age they are good stoves
Thanks, bholler, That's what I thought.

Its just an old stove, needs lots of parts. I have no handles left, the brass stripped where it meets the cast on all. Frame that holds the glass is badly warped, needs replacing. The air damper dials are separated from the screw so they just "flop" there. Probably due for a new cat soon. Previous owner had it in a damp environment. I did consider getting a parts stove as they seem to be very common on CL for very cheap but the allure of a new stove is drawing me in.

Thanks, bholler, That's what I thought.

Its just an old stove, needs lots of parts. I have no handles left, the brass stripped where it meets the cast on all. Frame that holds the glass is badly warped, needs replacing. The air damper dials are separated from the screw so they just "flop" there. Probably due for a new cat soon. Previous owner had it in a damp environment. I did consider getting a parts stove as they seem to be very common on CL for very cheap but the allure of a new stove is drawing me in.
Fair enough. They were absolutely good stoves but they do wear out it sounds like yours may be there. Hopefully someone comes along with a solution for you.

Reactions: Mike.O
Economy, probably not. Even the Ideal Steel is getting more expensive. Somewhat locally there is a dealer that is selling a Hampton H300 for about 1/3d off, but the shipping back east would be expensive. It would be cheaper to put in a top-vented insert or stove like the Englander 13-NC. The insert version is only about $1000.

Thanks for the info begreen. I wasn't considering an insert, but maybe that is not a bad route to go. I also wasn't considering stuffing a top vent in the fireplace, but that is growing on me, my lintel is 30.5" so I have quite a few options. With an adjustable elbow, and a little more chipping, I could hopefully get the stove to stick out 1/3 of the way. I also see the NC13 includes a free blower, which makes the top vent much more alluring.
I think the Drolet Columbia would also fit. Any opinion between the two stoves? NC13 is a little cheaper and has the blower so that's a plus.

They are similar in size, both are E/W loaders. The Columbia is a new model that appears to be based on the older Escape 1800. the 13-NC has been around for a long time.