Ecoteck Elena Air wattage requirements and inverters/generators?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lake Girl

Nov 12, 2011
NW Ontario
Does anyone know the wattage requirements for start-up and operation of the Elena Air or Elena models? We lost power a few days ago when the temps hit below -35F. We had a ductless kerosene burner that held the temps until the power was back up. The event got us thinking what we would require for wattage for the stove and what would be best - inverter or generator?

We have a Yamaha Inverter EF1000iS and another Yamaha Generator (not sure what size at the moment).

The manual has no specs on wattage requirements and was wondering if any other owners/techs had this info. Otherwise, will have to write Ravelli to see what info I can get.

Since we're on the longest electric run in the province, it's not if we lose power but when:( Just want to be a little more prepared for the next time!

Do you have amperage requirements, if no watts?

Nothing listed in the manuals that I could find but they are not the best ...

Is there a fuse on your circuit board ??

About 320 watts when the stove is starting-up, and once started, about 50 to 90 watts, depending on the room blower speeds.

On the other thread discussing generators, inverters and sine waves, my eyes glazed over, physics was so long ago and my worst subject;lol Thanks for the info guys. I'm thinking the difference in wattage during operation may be the Elena Air with both room blowers going vs. Elena that only has the one blower.

Inverter better for electronics or is other generator OK too? (Surge protection understood)

Now just have to figure out what other systems need to give us bare bones operation. Per hubby, we always have running water ... just depends on how fast you run with the buckets:rolleyes:

On the other thread discussing generators, inverters and sine waves, my eyes glazed over, physics was so long ago and my worst subject;lol Thanks for the info guys. I'm thinking the difference in wattage during operation may be the Elena Air with both room blowers going vs. Elena that only has the one blower.

Inverter better for electronics or is other generator OK too? (Surge protection understood)

Now just have to figure out what other systems need to give us bare bones operation. Per hubby, we always have running water ... just depends on how fast you run with the buckets:rolleyes:

Any generator will work, it's just how lucky are you feeling? With a standard generator, you could potentially "fry" the sensitive electronics in your stove. Not every generator provides a smooth pure sine wave output, inverter generators do. I wouldn't plug electronics into a standard generator. For example, my dealer informed me that plugging the MVAE into a standard generator will void the warranty on the control board...

Get a small gasoline Inverter-Generator, like the Generac IX series, 800W is $319, 1400w is $499, 2000W is $589' or the Ryobi 2200W for $549, available from Home Depot.

The 800W would be plenty to run your pellet stove and a lot of CF or LED bulbs. Buy a larger one if you want to add a TV, or coffee maker, or microwave. These inverter-generators are very fuel efficient, and give a very clean sine wave that is safe for stove electronics.

If you want to run on car batteries, get a "Pure-Sine Wave" inverter, but you will need a couple of car batteries if you want to run for any significant amount of time. And of course you will need a charger to recharge the batteries when the utility power returns.

The stove igniter is 250W, the combustion blower is about 30W, each room blower is about 30W. The auger motor is about 15W, but only runs for 2 seconds every 20 seconds or so. The igniter is only on for about 4 minutes when the stove is started.

Last edited:
Thanks again ... just wanted confirmation that the inverter we have will handle the load and is the better choice for the electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.