1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. countk

countk Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Ann, MA
    I responded to an add on Craigslist to go in on a truckload of Pellets, for North of Boston. The brand is Eden and I did search this site and most people said they burned hot, but were dusty, and some had concerns that they were being manufactured with some plastic in them. At any rate, there was no talk of them for this season and I was wondering if anyone has burned them this past winter.

Also in my search it looked like Jay was going to test them, but never found out if he did, or Macman for that matter. I will be able to pick up a few bags, but am concerned with the content of the pellets.

Price will be $245 a ton. Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pelletdude

pelletdude Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Conn
    When we sold them last year they were 225/ton. Looked like they were made from MDF board material. Not very hot, lots of ash, not much dust.
  3. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    Doesn't MDF have glue in it?
  4. countk

countk Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Ann, MA
    I started burning a bag last night and woke up this morning to some incredible heat. I only had the stove on setting 1, and the flame was quite a bit higher than usual for any other pellet brands I've burned. Makes me wonder a little if there isn't something foreign in these pellets? If not, I will definitely be going in on the truckload!
  5. rparker

rparker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Vermont
    MDF is generally made by adding wax and resins to wood fibers and compressing them to form a sheet. The issue is the resins, usually formaldehyde.
    The wax and resins are probably what is creating the higher flame, heat.
  6. countk

countk Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Ann, MA
    So how dangerous is formaldehyde and wouldn't a manufacturer be in trouble if it wasn't safe in the amounts they may be using to manufacture pellets? I know it is used in shampoos and other beauty products.
  7. rparker

rparker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Vermont
    Probably no more dangerous than some of the other "stuff" some companies grind up for pellets.
  8. turbulator

turbulator Member

Loc:
    Western PA
    I just got 22 tons in... Over the last 2 years the folks purchasing them off me have been happy with them and have said that they burn hot. I burn them and can confirm that they do burn hot, although some bags are dusty. FWIW.
  9. Lower bucks

Lower bucks New Member

If your kids start getting a red or green glow discontinue burning those pellets otherwise carry on regardless.
  10. fmsm

fmsm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    Hair falling out might be a deal breaker too.
  11. Lower bucks

Lower bucks New Member

Kids have now given up California Tans and now lie in front of pellet stove
  12. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Resin binders contain formaldehyde. They off-gas VOCs from furniture and cabinetry made with MDF (almost all newer stuff). MDF manufacturer's are currently trying to find resins that produce less VOCs (California prop 65 and EPA). Article goes over current binders (chemicals & health hazards) and new ones under development.
    http://www.healthybuilding.net/healthcare/2008-04-10_alt_resin_binders_particleboard.pdf

While burning will exhaust these out of the house, don't think I'd store those pellets indoors.:p Not sure if mild warming in the hopper would promote release of VOCs while waiting to be burned.