1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Effecta installation pics in North Pole, Alaska

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by NP ALASKA, Dec 2, 2012.

1. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I think most boilers recommmend a few smaller fires to start off with to dry the refractories out.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Karl_northwind

Karl_northwind Member

Loc:
    Central Wi.
    Yes. the effecta has less refractory than most of the gassifiers out there, but a couple of small fires (1/4 Load or less) is a good idea.
    karl
  3. nrford

nrford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW lower Mi.
    The only thing I notice is that your boiler sits on the floor. I raised my Effecta about 16" so I don't have to get on my knees to clean out the secondary chamber. Looks real nice and I know it is going well for you!
  4. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    The area the system sits in is the front of my Garage. I have an over size garage here, in Alaska it is a great asset. I could park my F250, 4 door, 8ft bed end to end with a porsche and still walk around the front and back of them. Maybe not between though.

Now I have to settle for the wifes truck, my truck, the 4 wheeler and my pride and joy "Gasification Boiler System"!

Started first fire tonight, all is going great. I am up to 160 in top of top tank, I was gasifiying very quickly. Amazing!

I will post stats and pics later this week. The guys are on the way to see this thing in action.

Regards, Morgan
  5. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    I thought about raising it and there was alot of circumstances leading up to not doing it. I would have been happier but it will work, i may lift it later. But it will work for a few years. I plan to build. Boiler room off the side of the garage in the future, this will give the opprotunity to change a few things.
    16 inches? Wow i was thinking 6-8", i guess i will have to rethink it a bit

I ran for 5 hours tonight, 69 degrees to 168 degrees. I figurd it would take a good 12 hours to charge, gona do a few small fires each night and charge system fully on saturday

Regards Morgan
  6. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Congrats.. we all know what a great feeling it is.
  7. wolfcreek

wolfcreek New Member

Loc:
    MT
    Congrats on the fire-up. I've had my Effecta 35 up and heating for over a month now. Went through times when I thought it would never get done but it's a joy now. Love thumbing my nose at the propne truck that drives by.
    Bill
  8. EffectaBoilerUser (USA)

EffectaBoilerUser (USA) Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    Great Job Morgan and Bill!

I know you have both spent a lot of time researching and installing your boiler systems and now its time to reap the rewards (no oil or gas bill) and personal satisfaction of a job well done. It will be interesting to see exactly how much wood you use next winter Morgan compared to when you had your Central OWB (the biggest one Central makes).
  9. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Ran small fires all week. Spent saturday charge all 1300 gallons, very impressed with the little amount of fuel required to do this. After running an OWB for about 7 years, i know what wood consumption is!

Time to insulate tanks, it got to 101 degrees in the garage. I wanted to make sure i had no leaks before inulating.

View attachment 96515
    JP11 likes this.
  10. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Guys, been busy, up and running, pics to come
    I am very happyyyyyyyy
  11. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Glad to hear that Morgan. Did you get those tanks insulated? How is that beast running?