Effective Cat temps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardrockmaple

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2010
Nova Scotia
I know that the Cat manufacturers say that their "light off" temps are 450-500*F, my question is, does anyone know at what temp the Cat stops working on the cool down side? I've always assumed it was the same as initial "light off".

Just wonderin'...... :coolhmm:

That seems logical but by the time the stove has cooled to that point all the smoke and gasses have burned off so it is a non-issue then. Now if you engage the cat and your stove cools below that point because it just has not gotten going well, then by all means, flip that bypass lever until the temperature rises again.

Backwoods Savage said:
That seems logical but by the time the stove has cooled to that point all the smoke and gasses have burned off so it is a non-issue then. Now if you engage the cat and your stove cools below that point because it just has not gotten going well, then by all means, flip that bypass lever until the temperature rises again.

Not necessarily. For example, after an overnight burn my probe thermometer reads around 300* and there are a large amount of hot coals still in the fire box, is the Cat still burning off those gases? Not being argumentative, just trying to answer this long term conundrum of mine.

Really just trying to convince myself that I "need" a Steelcat so as to squeeze all the heat outta my wood. :coolgrin:

Hardrockmaple said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Not necessarily. For example, after an overnight burn my probe thermometer reads around 300* and there are a large amount of hot coals still in the fire box, is the Cat still burning off those gases? Not being argumentative, just trying to answer this long term conundrum of mine.

Really just trying to convince myself that I "need" a Steelcat so as to squeeze all the heat outta my wood. :coolgrin:

I was told when your fuel is down to the coaling stage there is little or no smoke or gases left to burn. If there is the cat still has to be at lite off temps to burn it.

Hardrockmaple said:
Backwoods Savage said:

So, does this mean you do not now have the steel cat?

If you want the steel cat to squeeze all the heat outta the wood, you may be disappointed because you won't get any more heat from it. You sound as if you want to extract the heat at the end of the burning cycle. The cat will not help there. As has been stated, there is no more smoke to burn at the end of the cycle. To extract the heat then you just need to open the draft. We open the draft full open just before we reach the coaling stage. That holds the stove top temperature while the coals are burning down.

Backwoods Savage said:
So, does this mean you do not now have the steel cat?

If you want the steel cat to squeeze all the heat outta the wood, you may be disappointed because you won't get any more heat from it. You sound as if you want to extract the heat at the end of the burning cycle. The cat will not help there. As has been stated, there is no more smoke to burn at the end of the cycle. To extract the heat then you just need to open the draft. We open the draft full open just before we reach the coaling stage. That holds the stove top temperature while the coals are burning down.

No Steelcat yet, ordering one this week though. I really like the idea of 400* light offs*. Means I can add wood at the lower temperatures with less fiddlin' with controls.

Thank you and Todd for your responses, you confirmed my suspicions.

Status
Not open for further replies.