Efficiency numbers -- small vs medium

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mj5001

Oct 15, 2011
United States
It looks like smaller stoves are more effiecient than medium size or larger ones, correct?

I'm talking about new model epa stoves.

The Drolet eldorado, for example, is 85% efficient compared to their medium sized stoves, which are generally 78% or so.

SO --

What is it worth? Other than the obvious environmental concerns and wood usage?

I have a smaller house (about 1600 sq feet) -- so it WOULD be a good idea to use a smaller stove IF you can?

You'll burn less wood and have cleaner air?

Do any medium sized stoves have these 85% efficiency figures?

Only reason I would like something medium size is that the fire would last longer (possibly all night?) when I really need the heat.

Just get a medium stove. You'll be happier with the output and ability to burn overnight. You'll run a small stove to death trying to heat that much space. Then you'll decide that you want a medium stove anyway and upgrade, costing yourself more money.

Don't get all wrapped up in manufacturer claims about efficiency or BTU's. Firebox size is what's important. 2cuft+ should give you a decent overnight burn. Give some info about your house(layout, insulation, windows) and budget, and you'll get plenty of feedback.

Yeah, 1,600 sq ft would be a lot for any small stove. Our house is 1,250 sq ft and I'm figuring our small stove (17-VL w/1.1 cubic ft) will probably heat the downstairs just fine but we'll probably need to run the oil during the cold months to keep the upstairs warm enough. For us it made sense to save space with the smaller hearth requirements, but with a 1,600 sq ft home you'll really want a bigger stove.

This link has all EPA listed stoves in the USA with approximate efficiency. I am not sure this shows a correlation between size and efficiency, but I am not a stove guy. I also do not know the basis for the information on the list, but suspect it comes from lab testing.

http://www.epa.gov/oecaerth/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf

My AC5 has a plate on the back showing a graph of tested efficiency vs output. Mine tested more efficient at the lowest firing rate and less efficient at the higher firing rate. So my take is the way you operate the stove may have as much to do with efficiency as the size of the stove.

MJ5 said:
It looks like smaller stoves are more effiecient than medium size or larger ones, correct? I'm talking about new model epa stoves.
The Drolet eldorado, for example, is 85% efficient compared to their medium sized stoves, which are generally 78% or so. SO --

What is it worth? Other than the obvious environmental concerns and wood usage?

I have a smaller house (about 1600 sq feet) -- so it WOULD be a good idea to use a smaller stove IF you can?

You'll burn less wood and have cleaner air?

Do any medium sized stoves have these 85% efficiency figures?

Only reason I would like something medium size is that the fire would last longer (possibly all night?) when I really need the heat.

Don't get hung up on efficiency. Heat output of the stove is what you need to determine.

1600 sq. ft. is too much for a smaller stove. You should look at stoves with 2 cu. ft. or larger up to 3 cu. ft to heat that amount of space. You also need to determine how you will heat the house, that is, will you be able to heat the whole house with a stove.

Less wood will have cleaner air but only because you are burning less wood....and getting less heat.

Again, a medium or large stove will allow you to heat the house all night or all day when you are gone.

Here's something to think about: We had a large stove previous to the purchase of the Woodstock Fireview. We used to burn around 6 cord of wood (up to 7 cord) per year and even shut off part of the house but we struggled to keep it warm. After installing the Fireview we now burn 3 cord per year. The firebox on the Fireview is probably half or thereabouts of what the old stove was. So, when we bought the modern stove it cut our fuel needs in half and we no longer shut off part of the house and we stay a lot warmer. I have no idea what the efficiency of the stove is but it is high for sure. This is a cat stove and is a very clean burning stove. We've cleaned our chimney only one time in 4 years.

I don't know, there can be lots of variables in this. If your 1600 sq ft is well insulated and tight or you don't live in a super cold climate you may be able to get away with a smaller stove. 1 small 1.4 cu ft Keystone heats my entire 2000 sq ft probably 90% of the time and I could probably not even fire up the second Keystone if I didn't have a wife that complained when the house isn't 75. If you do go small, go cat stove so you can still achieve overnight burns. A small non cat the size of mine won't do it.

i think actual efficiency depends more on how you use a stove than on what the lab test results were. Be an efficient operator and your stove will be an efficient stove. Don't worry about a few percentage points in a lab test - they're all about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.