Efficiency question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Let's say you have two large 3+ cu ft stoves in your home. Which would require less wood usage:
  • Running one stove at 60% full
  • Running two stoves at 30% full
Right now, running just the Defiant is heating the entire house today, much like it did last night.
Here is some additional detail on how the stoves used in both situations:
  • Running just the Defiant will mean reloading at a higher temp. 300-400 degrees.
  • Running both stoves (Defiant & 30) I can let them drop down into the 200 range before reloading.At this time of year, I can let them drop lower than that, but reloading becomes more of a chore due to less coals in the firebox.
  • Both stoves burn through about the same amount of wood in a high burn cycle, for the most part. But the Defiant is more efficient when run at a lower temp. (Which isn't always a sure thing with the VC cat system)
What are your thoughts as to which setup would burn less wood?

I would guess running one stove at 60% full. You are in it's peak efficiency range there. My thinking is that two stoves at 30% will need more frequent refills and more swings out of the peak efficiencies for the stoves.

I would guess running one stove at 60% full. You are in it's peak efficiency range there. My thinking is that two stoves at 30% will need more frequent refills and more swings out of the peak efficiencies for the stoves.
I thought about that. But I also wondered if the fact that I would be reloading at a lower temp would change the equation.

Also, on a cat stove, they are less efficient at higher temps. Not sure what temps the Defiant needs to hit in order to truly effect the efficiency of the burn.

Could be, it's an interesting question. Labor wise it's no question.

Could be, it's an interesting question. Labor wise it's no question.
That is very true. From a personal experience, even running both stoves, it is still less work than it was in previous years.

I find it very strange that the Defiant is capable of heating the entire house from this chimney (living room), but not from the other (where the 30 is located). This also highlights the difference between the Heritage and a larger stove. Also, the other two chimney locations do not allow for whole house heating. I can burn the 30 until it glows in the dark and the upstairs and living room will never get up to a decent temp. Same goes for the Encore, except the heat movement is even more limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.