efficiency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doug60

Apr 30, 2008
north jersey
What is the formula for the efficiency rating?
How is it measured?
thanks,doug

Doug, I don't know the formula for efficiency, maybe Corie or Mike from ESW will stop by an answer that question, but I know that alot of stove mfg's don't actually
the efficiency of a given stove. If the stove meets or exceeds the EPA standards, they list it as that. I think it just comes down to real world variables. What the stove will do in yours hands, with your config may be completely different than for me.

In simple terms, the efficiency of a stove would be 100*(heat content of fuel - heat lost up the stack)/(heat content of the fuel). So, say the fuel load contains 1000 BTU's, and during the burning process, 300 BTU's are lost up the chimney, the efficiency would be:

100(1000-300)/(1000)=70%, meaning that 70% of the potentially useful heat content of the fuel was realized as heat gain to the area surrounding the stove.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.