EGO #2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I couldn’t get the weed wacker to work today. It belongs to the business, I’ll get it running again, but not today. I just picked up a trimmer to match the mower. It was on sale, so that sealed the deal.

C4C5C32C-EB3F-4B79-BF25-201DE7CBF93C.png

Reactions: EbS-P
What voltage is it? I have Ryobi 1 cordless tools so I bought a blower and trimmer that uses my 18V batteries. I bought the pair mainly for my wife as she doesn't like fooling with starting the gas blower and trimmer. I have to say for what they are they are impressive and she loves them. I have 2 Stihl trimmers one is over 35 yo and the other is in the 25 yo range, they don't owe me anything. I was considering buying a new Stihl gas trimmer but may change my mind and but battery.

Well.....how did it do? I was at the store today and they had Ryobi, Milwaukee and a few other brands to choose from. It will be interesting to see how they hold up over time.

It worked flawlessly. It had more than enough power to do the job. I suppose that’s all that can be asked of it.

Interesting things I noticed:

It’s lighter than my Stihl. Even with the larger, heavier battery from the mower. I decided not to use the small battery that came with it. I’ll eventually get it going, but the big battery was ready to go.

There was a lot less noise! I forgot to put earplugs in and my ears were not assaulted like they are with the 2 stroke.

I think these electric tools are a good option for town lots. If you have a couple acres to tend, they’re probably not for you, but it’ll handle my house, and the rental I’m getting getting ready to sell without any issues.

Years ago I bought the wife a 40 volt Oregon trimmer. Its held up well. She had a little trouble with the line feed so I put a head on it that you just use strips of line. She like that. Seem like she always had trouble getting a two stroke trimmer started. I would come home and it would start first pull. When this one dies she will have another battery one. She probably only has about a hour of trimming to do out here on the farm. The battery last that long. We have rock around all our buildings and just spray around them.

I have acres so the gas trimmers will remain, but my wife trims around here flower gardens and a lot of the other areas around the house.
I did notice EGO sells a few different models of trimmers so I'll have to do some research. What model is yours? @EatenByLimestone

I think the motors are the same across models.

I looked closely at the 2 lower end models. The difference between them is a carbon fiber shaft vs an aluminum one.

Since it’s only a wire running down the shaft, I reasoned that if something hit the shaft, a bend wouldn’t functionally hurt it. Life happens and I have a child that’s a bull in a China closet. She takes after me. Carbon fiber shatters, aluminum bends. Aluminum seemed the safer bet.

Reactions: Eman85
Will the power head accept stihl trimmer heads?

I'm not sure. I haven't had to restring it yet, so I haven't looked closely. I have the metal disc on my stihl. I'm not sure if it'd like having so much weight as a flywheel on it. I'd hate to void my warranty so quickly, if I did find out it fit, lol.

Reactions: EbS-P
I'm not sure. I haven't had to restring it yet, so I haven't looked closely. I have the metal disc on my stihl. I'm not sure if it'd like having so much weight as a flywheel on it. I'd hate to void my warranty so quickly, if I did find out it fit, lol.
Gas station was closer than lowes so I drove the Tesla to the pump and filled my gas can and mixed to “that’s about right”:1. I still want one.

I have a dewalt lawnmower, weed Wacker, leaf blower and chain saw. The lawnmower died this year and the chainsaw died last year. Kinda pissed.

The EGO string trimmer comes with the right size battery. When it runs down, it's time for a break.
Actually I put the medium battery (comes with chainsaw) and trimmed 1/2 mile of the Appalachian Trail yesterday. Hikers appreciate the quiet (and no smell) when I let go of the trigger. As do I.

Reactions: EbS-P and Eman85
Started with the lawn mower once they had 'self propelled'. I guess that's 6 years.
Got the chain saw a year later, then weed wacker and blower. One of our 4 batteries has given up the ghost.
The saw chain is special and a bit delicate. Like, if you try to force it thru a hard knot, some teeth may bend -- and soon break. It's a narrow cut that you just don't want to force.
Battery chain saw is great for jobs where you are cutting and throwing, putting it down a lot.
Also awesome that it rides inside your car or truck cab without stinking it up.
One battery charge is about as often as you should fill the bar oil.

@trail guy Mike Sounds like EGO has done well for you. I don't think I'd want to replace my chainsaws with battery powered but I would like one for trim work on fence rows. Has to be lighter to carry, my body doesn't like carrying things any more.
Where in NC are you? I used to live in Buncombe and Haywood counties but traveled all over WNC years back.

10 miles S of Max Patch and 15 mi. E of Mt Sterling :)
If you do heavy cutting, keep your gas saws. The bar on mine is just 16", and while they sell an 18" bar, I think that would be pushing it. It's not meant to overcome a lot of torque.
You're kind of obliged to become an easy glider.
Sometimes when I'm heading out on back roads, I bring it with, just in case there is some free wood along (or IN) the road.
Having the multiple tools with interchangeable batteries is pretty luxurious, too.
NY Times "Wirecutter" reviews rank EGO #1 for a while now -- among ALL lawn mowers, not just battery.

I reloaded the string today. It was super easy to open up the head and pull a scrap of plastic cutting string out. The instructions didn’t say to do this, but I saw buttons and pressed them. I then snapped it back together and fed a new 13 foot string in so it was equal on both sides. I pressed a green button and it wound the string in by itself. Might have taken 3 minutes.

I reloaded the string today. It was super easy to open up the head and pull a scrap of plastic cutting string out. The instructions didn’t say to do this, but I saw buttons and pressed them. I then snapped it back together and fed a new 13 foot string in so it was equal on both sides. I pressed a green button and it wound the string in by itself. Might have taken 3 minutes.
What size string does yours take? .80?

I borrowed an EGO string trimmer last week and was really impressed with the torque and readiness of the trimmer to munch through high grass. It did a great job. I used a 3?amp battery pack and it had plenty of reserve after about 40 minutes of trimming. The next time I am going to rig something to make it work with my Stihl full shoulder harness.

One thing the tool library folks told me was that once a year or so it's important to pull the string spool and clean out underneath it. Grass and dust can build up there which can affect the automatic string loading.

Interesting. The one I borrowed from the tool library had .080 line. That didn't seem to slow it down but the thicker cord probably would be better for blackberries.

It’ll take down woody stems 3/8 to 1/2”. Much more than that and you’ll be disappointed, lol.

There were 3 models available. I think they all had the same motor. The bottom end was aluminum shaft, mid was carbon fiber. I figured I could deal with a bent aluminum shaft if need be, cracked carbon fiber not so much. I bought the aluminum shaft. I don’t remember the difference for the high end one.

I’ve been looking at some hedges in my front yard and contemplating the hedge trimmer. Last hedge I trimmed got trimmed with the MS290. It’s what I had in my hand when the job came, lol.

I’ve been real impressed with the Ego tools. On another board I’m on, there are mixed reviews.

I really liked their trimmer. IIRC it had a carbon fiber tube. I was not as impressed with their pole trimmer. The head is pretty light-duty.

FWIW I bought a Ryobi hedge trimmer as that's the tools and batteries I already had. Great investment! Light and easy to handle and I have bushes and hedges that a corded is a pain to work with especially some that I use a ladder to trim.