EKO 40 Door adjustment?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bliz

Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
9 miles from Quebec
I have received a number of good suggestions on how to help eliminate the odor of smoke/creosote on my EKO 40, but the next thing I want to try is to adjust the door. The book is not clear on how to do this. Do I have to take the door off or simply loosen both nuts on the door bolts, adjust and re-tighten? Thanks

You have to take the door off, then use a pipe wrench or similar to rotate the hinge pins 360* tighter, top and bottom. I fought with this, too, and the only thing that worked for me in the end was the silicone door gasket. This year's operation is relatively odor free since installing the gasket. The draft fan helps keep smoke out of the room when loading only, and for starting fires.

Be careful loosening the hinges. The welded nut on my acted as a lock nut and the hinge post sheared off. I drilled out the threaded rod and inserted a bolt, locked it in with a nut. Wasn't difficult but I wasn't prepared for this happening and the boiler was down for 1 day.

Status
Not open for further replies.