1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Electric car prototype increases range to 218 miles

Post in 'The Green Room' started by MishMouse, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Im sure it can be done,but at a cost. It must not be more cost effective now, as neither leaf or volt has employed it. Some prototypes with it now being tested. Time will tell.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    A sump pump can be purchased for $69 that spends its entire life submerged in water. It really is not uncommon and has been accomplished in many arenas for years. But, that being said, there are many ways to skin the "electric drive train" cat.
  3. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I have 5 sump pumps at 2 locations, If they are not always under water(when the switch sticks) they overheat and burn up. The real ? is i suppose if its better to have 1 centrally located electric motor and drive shafts or several in wheel motors. So far no one has opted for the in wheel type and made it commercially available. Although they are probably close to one.
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I would suspect that you are right. When it comes to efficiency, the direct drive approach wins. Transmissions, drive shafts, etc. rob a little bit of power at every turn.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Not much difference between this an sealing of an aircooled VW crankcase that gets exposed to all the elements. Actually I thing sealing of the electric motor might be easier. However, there are controller electronics on some of these motors that have heat sinks. I wonder about mud caking on them affecting their operation.