Electric heat supplement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dayton 240v heater if i really wanted to go that route but like i said im just testing this to see if it can maintain the heat loss
i guess the cost is going to be about the same a little less as running cheap pellets on low with of course alot more heat

The boiler is on my mind, If Scott is around this way i invited him to stop by. He could educate me and evaluate im sure

We run two oil filled radiators in two back bedrooms, very little change on the electric bill. We keep the door cracked slightly at night and it raises the temp from probably 64 to 68ish.

Keep in mind if you use a space heater for a long period of time and its 1500w you really should have it on a dedicated 20amp circuit. Just because the instructions dont say that doesnt make it wise.

I just got some 'tower' heaters. We don't need it to be 68 in the bedroom, but my wife likes to take the chill off occasionally, so the ceramic and fan warms up quick, even if it only seems that way. That's the way I'm thinking, anyway.

Omv, we have a eden pure heater downstairs. We have used that for years till we bought the pellet stove. I know they are very expensive but there are knock offs that lowes, and the home depot carry. So far not much rise in the electric bill, and on a cold night it will keep the living area at 72 degrees on high. I love it, but it just does not keep the rest of the house toasty so this will be going upstairs in the hallway to warm up the bedrooms a bit.

I don't see how it's not raising the power bill to run a heater. If it runs 5 hrs a day, that would be about 35$/month in electric 0.16 KwH

Sorry you are having trouble heating thing up in the bedroom;) (Oh come one some had to go there, surprised it had not happened yet). I think you should take the ash from the MT. Vernon right before bed and put in into one of these and then put this into your bed, might be old but it worked back in the day!! :)

images

Status
Not open for further replies.