Electric in same cavity as thimble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mellow

Resident Stove Connoisseur
Jan 19, 2008
Salisbury, MD
The wall cavity I would like to put my thimble also has an electric outlet, what is the install specs on this? Can it be done safely? I was planning on running my pipe up that wall inside and out the thimble at the top of the wall (not at bottom near outlet box). If the romex has been stapled to the left side of the 2x4 would it be OK to install the thimble towards the right side of the same cavity?

I'm not an electrician but I see no reason why not

It passed building inspection for my install.

I have attached a picture of where I would like to install my thimble to double check if this is OK?

I will be doing a corner install of the pellet stove, I have a corner hearth pad I will be installing this weekend.

thimble install.jpg

Honestly I don't think it would matter left or right of the 2x4. The thimble protect anything there..

Reactions: johneh
Yea, I realize it should protect it, I just didn't know if codes didn't allow it. Just trying to make sure everything is OK before I go punching holes in my wall. The wall by the window would be easier but I don't want the pipe on the front of my house and the window is to close.