1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

electric log splitter longevity

Post in 'The Gear' started by jrousell, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrousell

jrousell New Member

Loc:
    Adirondack Mtns. NY
    I am pretty much sold ona smaller electric splitter. I only burn part-time, and it would be perfect to ahve one next to my pile under my wood shed( attached to my garage..

I am curious how long people have had them for? Can people attest to these things wokring over the course of several years?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    I think they will last if used for re-split. Mine is @ 14 months. I have used it all burning season to re-split wood to start the stove. 5-10
    min daliey.Did have to re do the wires because they got ripped out by a piece of wood.
  3. downeast

downeast Guest

The 20 ton gas splitter was sold last year. A 2001 DR Electric 4 ton has been doing 95% of 5-6 cords/year. Slow, reliable, quiet, light, little efficient in fuel use. You can split whenever...just plug it in. We may upgrade to the DR 6 ton when and if the 4 ton dies.
    DR is a model company to do business with.
  4. tkirk22

tkirk22 New Member

Loc:
    VA Mountains
    We just bought a 5 ton task force so I can't attest to the longevity.

I have noticed that it has a 'weak link'. The hydraulic pump housing is also the motor mount that connects to the ram cylinder. If that breaks there is no easy fix except a pump replacement. IIRC, it is cast aluminum and not very sturdy.
  5. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    I've had my Ryobi two burning seasons and it hasn't missed a beat.

I backed my pickup load of wood into the garage and watched the basketball game on TV while I split the wood. It's nice not having a loud gas engine running constantly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.