Electric motor/capacitor hookup help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I'm working on building a small waste oil burner to experiment with-its going to be a siphon type that utilizes compressed air to atomize the fuel through a nozzle. I bought a small compressor from a surplus house and it came with a wiring diagram showing two black wires (to 120V), one green wire (ground), and two blue wires which go to a capacitor which was included. Here is the motor:

Motor001.jpg

Here is the capacitor:

Motor002.jpg

Motor003.jpg

You can see in the second picture that there are two contacts each with two prongs. I'm assuming that one blue wire goes to one set of contacts and the other goes to the other set? I just don't want to hook this thing up backwards because I'm afraid of blowing up the capacitor, motor, or both. Also, do I have to be careful handling the capacitor-I know that they can store quite a bit of power, but I don't know if this one is "full" or not. Any ideas?

since you are working with ac power it shouldn't matter which blue goes to the one marked red. if it were dc the thing if hooked up wrong would blow up. as far as the cap storing power, just before you handle it, short the two terminals with a screw driver to kill the charge. if it were charge you could get a good jolt off of it.

Those caps don't hold a charge very long. If it hasn't been hooked up recently, there is no chance of shock. Still, it's good practice to always handle them as if they were charged and to discharge them in the manner fbelec described.

Thanks-so basically when clip the pin plug end off I should attach two female spade terminals (insulated of course) to the two blue wires and connect them to the male spades on each side the capacitor? I wish there was some sort of mount included to bolt the thing to the motor-I guess I can fab something.

Status
Not open for further replies.