Electric splitter at distance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
I am an electrical engineer but by no means an expert on all things electrical. I am not an expert on rules of thumb or what is exceptable voltage drops for certain equipment. I look at mafg data or use the web etc.. I picked 3% and used a my fundamental circuits book by Boylstad. This is the calculation you use and maybe not the acceptable % voltage drop per foot of wire using as an extension cord. However if you use the online calculators, it will yeild the same answer.
I would have guessed that you were an electrical engineer as I went through this before with some engineers who did the calculations for voltage drop on a wind turbine circuit. I have been wiring for a long time now and have used the 10% for most loads, makes sense you would want the 3% for switch gear and panels so you start up with a strong circuit. I can assure you that load will run on a #10 cord and the 12 might even be fine, I have that much #12 cord here and if I had the time I could do an acid test but I still think he should just move the wood closer to the building.

Wow... and this all started with "What kind of extension cord do I need?"....

bluedogz said:
Wow... and this all started with "What kind of extension cord do I need?"....

That is why this place is the best place for ALL information!:) Very knowledgable and very detailed folks here!

Status
Not open for further replies.