1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Electric/Thermostat Question

Post in 'The Gear' started by Eric Johnson, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    We replaced our old thermostats at work with some programmable stats for electric heat. So now I have a pile of single- and double-pole stats designed for 240-volt electric baseboard heat. I was wondering if the single-pole units could be used to regulate 120-volt devices, such as a circulating pump. Just curious whether I should toss them out or keep them around for future heating system projects.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Willhound

Willhound Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Thermostat is just a temperature activated switch, so as long as they are rated to handle whatever current you are going to run through them I fail to see why not. And in the case of a baseboard thermostat, I beleive the thermostats are at 110V, vs. the low voltage thermostats for gas/oil.
  3. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Thanks Willhound. Actually, these take 240-volt current and they're direct-wired instead of 24 volts running through a relay.

I assumed the same thing about how it's just a switch and if it is built to take 240 volts, it ought to work OK with 120. But you know, even though I'm a marginally better electrician than I am a carpenter, I'm about the world's worst carpenter.
  4. Willhound

Willhound Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Oops, sorry, I meant the same thing, rated for 220/240 but can certainly handle 110/120.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.