electric water heater plastic drain valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinced

Feb 17, 2008
Central Wisconsin
Hello,
I'm installing a sidearm heater on my electric water heater. I notice the drain valve that I'm piping into on my water heater is plastic. Should I remove this plastic drain valve. Also what pipe thead is this drain valve? 3/4" I want to know before I shut off my water heater and drain it.
Thank you, Vince

I always toss the plastic valve and put in a real brass one. I don't think the temps would be a problem, but I can't get my mind around the idea behind a plastic drain valve.

Just last weekend I replaced my hot water heater that started leaking from the cold water supply inlet. Prior to that, the cheap _ss plastic drain valve at the bottom was leaking since I couldn't get it to shut off completely. We spent five years with a pan under that valve while it slowly dripped, dripped, dripped like a sailor after shore leave in Subic Bay. I would concur with the quality brass valve advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.