Electric woodsplitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you see some plans let me know will you? Here is a dandy manufactured job (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSCBPj3jTMA) but they don't sell locally. Which I will admit some degree of envy over. My gas 20 ton is around 12 second with no load. To get 5 second cycles I would have to go to a 22 gpm pump. It has an 11 gpm on it now so you are probably talking a 220v set up and 5hp minimum and maybe 8 hp. High rpm electric motors like you would find for air compressors as the pumps are rated for around 3600 rpm. I have a 16 hp, gas, I was thinking of using to beef up my splitter or build another one altogether. The gain in cycle time would more than compensate for the extra gas if I couple that with a 4 way wedge.

For most wood I find that you really don't need the fast cycle time; just don't let the ram raise all the way up each time. Raise it only as high as need to get the log in. On a lot of wood it is just a matter of pushing the ram only a couple of inches into the wood and you can split the rest apart with your hands, so you only have to move the ram, say, 6" maximum. It speeds up the splitting a lot. Naturally, if you are splitting 20+" long logs of something like elm then you will use more length.

From my experience running 5hp electric/16gpm 2 stage, I think you would need a 6 or 7.5 electric to run the 22 gpm. That said, both my pump and motor were scavenged and have been around the block a few times.

Cave2k here is a link for a set of plans and an ebay number
http://www.how-to-plans.com/log_splitter_plans.html

The more research I do it looks as though gas may be the way to go, the price on the size electric motor I would need is pretty pricey and I don't see too many used ones around. These logsplitters sold commercially are waaaaaaay too slow with a 12 second cycle on most of them that seems like an eternity not sure why they build them this way. I will have to check the spec's on some new ones and see what they are using. I would like a 22gpm two stage with a 12hp gas engine but may settle for a 16gpm two stage and an 8hp gasser unless I can come across a reasonably priced electric

Status
Not open for further replies.