Electrical cord pass through

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
Looking for suggestions or a kit to create a pass through for a door for my generator cord. I purchased a generator this year for my travel trailer and in hind sight i purchased one with a 30 amp rv plug and not the 30 amp twist lock plug. I see all sorts of pass throughs for the twist lock but for me to take advantage of that i would need extra adapters and that gets a little expensive and just creates more room for issues not to mention over the past several years we have not had a power failure. All i would be powering up is my pellet stove and TV so its not going to see a lot of load so i was thinking of just a 15/20 amp extension cord for the pass though.. So far all i have come up with is getting 2 30/50 amp outdoor outlet covers and drilling through the door and having one on both sides and just stuff it with some insulation when not in use.. Then i can just use my heavy duty extension cord and pass it though easily. My doors are to tight to use a lay flat cord under the door so that is not a option.

not ripping apart a new generator and voiding my 3 year warranty to change plugs, then i would also have to change my travel trailer where this is primarily used.

box on out side with rv plug box on inside with whatever - through wall not door way.

not ripping apart a new generator and voiding my 3 year warranty to change plugs, then i would also have to change my travel trailer where this is primarily used.
Get an RV to 14-30P adapter cord and use a proper connection box?

1695741074614.png

Looking for suggestions or a kit to create a pass through for a door for my generator cord. I purchased a generator this year for my travel trailer and in hind sight i purchased one with a 30 amp rv plug and not the 30 amp twist lock plug. I see all sorts of pass throughs for the twist lock but for me to take advantage of that i would need extra adapters and that gets a little expensive and just creates more room for issues not to mention over the past several years we have not had a power failure. All i would be powering up is my pellet stove and TV so its not going to see a lot of load so i was thinking of just a 15/20 amp extension cord for the pass though.. So far all i have come up with is getting 2 30/50 amp outdoor outlet covers and drilling through the door and having one on both sides and just stuff it with some insulation when not in use.. Then i can just use my heavy duty extension cord and pass it though easily. My doors are to tight to use a lay flat cord under the door so that is not a option.
I've made two of these. One is for my greenhouse, to pass the hose from a 20# bulk propane tank inside to a BigBuddy radiant heater that is backup heat. The other is on a stick-built shed for my 8.5 kw tri-fuel genertor. The 50 amp ordset plugs into a receptacle hard wired into the main panel box with a manual interrupt switch. In both cases I drilled a hole just large enough to accomodate whatever I was passing through, with a circular piece of scrap aluminium to cover the hole. It 'swings' on a single screw. Both were painted to match the structure. A no-bucks fix....

box on out side with rv plug box on inside with whatever - through wall not door way.
Not a option i live in a modular with an addition in it that is what i would call air gapped. So between the 2 walls is about a foot and having any wire between the 2 is just asking for trouble since the squirls get in their. I have already had to replace the power going to the addition once with armor cable as they had gotten it and that was no easy task..
Get an RV to 14-30P adapter cord and use a proper connection box?

View attachment 315856
gets a little expensive i will not use amazon for electrical so by the time all is said and done purchasing locally im looking at a few $$$ for something i may never use.. I looked into this
I've made two of these. One is for my greenhouse, to pass the hose from a 20# bulk propane tank inside to a BigBuddy radiant heater that is backup heat. The other is on a stick-built shed for my 8.5 kw tri-fuel genertor. The 50 amp ordset plugs into a receptacle hard wired into the main panel box with a manual interrupt switch. In both cases I drilled a hole just large enough to accomodate whatever I was passing through, with a circular piece of scrap aluminium to cover the hole. It 'swings' on a single screw. Both were painted to match the structure. A no-bucks fix....
Similar to what i was thinking when putting 2 30/50 amp plug covers on the door..

use a short piece of emt they can't eat thru that then use thhn wire or uf cable inside of the pipe that goes to the outside plug if you can't find a adapter that is short money you can change the outlet on the box that is outside to the one you need. if you can return the generator to buy a new one that has a twist lock you are better off. a rv plug has no ground. they have three prongs two hot and one neutral no ground. you need a four prong plug to make a 2 hot 1 neutral and 1 ground then run a interlock in your panel and light the whole house. after all what good is a 8.5k watt generator if you have to take a candle in to the toilet 8.5k watt will run the small burner on a electric stove which is 1500 watts or a oven which is 3000 watts maybe 3500 watts