electrical in bathroom?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, since we had 2 hairdryers and one works fine in the master bath, I cut the cord on the other one and got rid of the goofy end (trip end). Cut an old extension cord plug and and it is running on full blast on high for the last 5 minutes! Weird how the other one will not work in one room but will in the other. The hairdryer I cut originally would not work in either. Mystery almost solved! LOL

Jim

Will the cut one now work in both rooms?

Ehouse

Jim H. said:
My wife's hair drier has stopped working in our bathroom. It is a 15amp circuit. It did not have a gfci plug in the bathroom. House was built in 1982. It has a gfci outlet on the same circuit in the garage for some reason. When I replaced the old outlet in the bathroom with a gfci one the hair drier still does not work (although a curling iron and my shaver do). I thought it might be the hairdrier but it works in another outlet my microwave is on (but not others for some reason). I am going to take out the gfci outlet in the garage (don't think 2 on same circuit is correct) and put in a regular outlet. When I tripped the gfci in the garage no power goes to the bathroom which would not protect us from shock in the bathroom correct?

I will followup and check this thread later.....any help will be great. Thanks.

Jim

This is what may have happened.

The garage GFCI protects the bathroom outlet and was tripped so the Hair Dryer stopped working. You cannot have a GFCI outlet on a GFCI protected line, it will not work right. So if you go back to a standard outlet in the bathroom and reset the garage, you might be all set!!

Status
Not open for further replies.