Electrical question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_ms

Feeling the Heat
Jan 28, 2008
Upstate NY on VT Border
For those of us that have inserts, you know what a pain it is to pull it out to work on for cleaning etc.
Both my combustion and convection fan wiring are on the same side (left) and all my wiring goes to a terminal block in the rear. If the wiring was not in play I could pull both fans for cleaning without having to pull out insert completely and disconnect the wiring at the terminal block
So my question is could I splice the wires closer to the fans using terminal type connectors (male/female) using the proper gauged terminal? I realise that terminals should not touch
Any thoughts?

Sure! My motors all have the spade connectors on them from the factory. Like you said, just use the big ones although the motors are pretty small. No sense taking chances.

Reactions: jtakeman
Sure! My motors all have the spade connectors on them from the factory. Like you said, just use the big ones although the motors are pretty small. No sense taking chances.
I forgot to mention that connections at the fans are internal not with connectors.

You could absolutely do this, but keep one thing in mind, these new connections will all be subject to high temperatures.
most OTC connectors are not rated for this.

Is the stove still under warranty? If yes, might not want to mess with it until you check w/ the dealer.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
No problem on an integra.As a matter of fact the replacement convection blowers have spade connectors right on the motor,heat not a problem there.On the combustion blower heat not a real problem unless wires/connectors laying on the housing.I would keep 2-3" away.But watch the 3 little wires,they go to the hall effect sensor inside the motor and you do not ever want to hook them up wrong or you will be buying a motor.You might want to go to wrecking yard(sorry,recycler)and get both sides of an automotive connector,like a gm weatherpak.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
No problem on an integra.As a matter of fact the replacement convection blowers have spade connectors right on the motor,heat not a problem there.On the combustion blower heat not a real problem unless wires/connectors laying on the housing.I would keep 2-3" away.But watch the 3 little wires,they go to the hall effect sensor inside the motor and you do not ever want to hook them up wrong or you will be buying a motor.You might want to go to wrecking yard(sorry,recycler)and get both sides of an automotive connector,like a gm weatherpak.

The hall wires do have a clip type connector that I can access from opposite side, it only fits one way so no danger of hooking it up wrong, the wires from both motors rest on the surface of the fireplace and snake around the backside then through the access plate on the rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.