Electroshock theraphy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KindredSpiritzz

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2013
appleton, wi
Man EVERY time i touch my damn stove, the tv, dvd player or pretty much anything else in my den electronic or metal i get a static shock thats starting to make me twitch and flinch like a university test subject. It's starting to affect my sanity. I gather its from the dry air in the house which now that i think about it also causes me nose bleeds all winter long. I tried a kettle of water on the stove, that doesnt seem to help. Really not keen on the idea of buying a humidifier either but im starting to think maybe thats my only option or wear gloves anytime i touch something.
Some of those shocks about knock me on my butt, dang.
Anyone else have that problem?

I run a standalone humidifier most of the winter. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want one? I monitor humidity with the readout on the unit and a separate unit as well. Monitoring and maintaining humidity levels is a important thing to do to keep your home comfortable.

I know a lot of people don't care but nothing besides a thermometer ever goes on my stove top. I like the stove to stay unmarked.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't want one?

Well i really dont have a spot for one. Sounds like a pain having to fill them and clean them, something else running the electric bill up too.
And i remember as a kid i was sick and mom stuck a vaporizer in the room over night and all dads guns ended up getting rust on them which makes me wonder what effect that would have on a steel stove. I admit i have no real experience with them, just vague assumptions. I was reading up on them, sounds like they are good for nose bleeds and dry skin which i have plenty of in winter.They come in all sizes but which size to get? Maybe i'll try a small cheap one since its just the den im concerned about and see how that goes. Course if i do small then i imagine im always filling it up too?

I keep my relative humidity around 35-40%. I use a wick style of humidifier and I do usually have to replace the 'wicks' once a year. It is plugged in, holds a couple gallons of water I think. It's easy to fill. I have no idea how much power it uses but I'm going to say not much. Mine works automatically so doesn't make to much humidity, nothing rusts, nothing molds. It doesn't take a lot of room.

If I don't use one the house is much less comfortable.

To me it's part of 'running' a home. If you aren't monitoring humidity and don't want to use a humidifier. Well you are living with the results that that brings.

Air seal the house. Too much heated air is leaving, sucking in too much cooler, lower humidity air. The stove then heats this up, really dropping the RH.

Start at the ceiling of the upper floor of the house and work your way down. You probably will have to remove the light fixtures and window trim. 6 tubes of 100% silicone, about $5 each, will go a long way toward fixing your problem.

What you say is true. But if you seal up a old leaky house. You had better monitor your humidity and make certain you don't have cold spots which will lead to condensation and mold. Leaky homes are well ventilated and for this reason stay dry and don't mold.

Sealing up a old home can vastly change the dynamics of how stove(s) are running too. So bear that in mind. Stoves need air and if you seal everything up tight. Well they still need air. Oak or some other makeup air can become a requirement.

I'm ok with a leaky house and a humidifier myself. Everything works fine. Sure I could seal things up and save a few sticks of wood, maybe have to modify my wood burning systems, maybe be to warm at times and simply cracking a window or door more often which would defeat the whole point of sealing up in the first place.

Funny, I read this thread earlier. I cam back to comment that it is likely that you do not have outside air feeding your stove (and I see others beat me to it). Frozen/low moisture draws into your house from outside, cooling your rooms away from your stove. It also dries out your house because of the super dry frozen cold outside air. Moister inside air is exhausted out of the house. While not the last step in this problem, the first step to start with it outside air to your stove.

my house is pretty well sealed and insulated so i dont think i have an issue there. The heat from the stove circulates thru the house almost perfectly because of the layout. The stove runs good so i dont think i want to mess with bringing in outside air to it. I do like the idea of a wick type humidifier, never heard of such a thing but will be looking into it.

my humidity gauge on the wall reads 40%, from what i read you'd want that between 30 &50 % so seems like im in the range.

I don't turn on the bathroom fan in the winter and we like hot showers so I stick a little fan in the bathroom to push the steam air out into the house and it keeps my relative humidity 40+ I think it's supposed to be 35-45?

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
my house is pretty well sealed and insulated so i dont think i have an issue there. The heat from the stove circulates thru the house almost perfectly because of the layout. The stove runs good so i dont think i want to mess with bringing in outside air to it. I do like the idea of a wick type humidifier, never heard of such a thing but will be looking into it.

my humidity gauge on the wall reads 40%, from what i read you'd want that between 30 &50 % so seems like im in the range.
The static shock you are feeling comes from dry air. It is always there, but as the air drys out the static gets stronger.

100% of the air that your chimney drafts comes from leaks in your house (unless you have an outside air source). If your house was well sealed you would have to open a window or door for your draft to function. The reason a wood stove dries the air out in your house is because you are pushing moist inside air out the chimney and drawing dry outside air in through leaks in your house. It is up to you if you want to address it, but don't fool yourself about what is going on.

I don't turn on the bathroom fan in the winter and we like hot showers so I stick a little fan in the bathroom to push the steam air out into the house and it keeps my relative humidity 40+ I think it's supposed to be 35-45?
This is a good band-aid for the dry air issue.

That's exactly what we do with the little fan on the floor just outside the br. We don't have a vent fan. In the summer, open window. In winter, closed window.

I agree. Beats running a humidifier in my opinion. If I have to I will however. The nosebleeds are just too much for me
Yes. The warm, moist air you are creating bathing if blown outside and cold, dry air is sucked inside by the fan. Leaving the warmth and moisture inside during the winter is a very good idea.

Reactions: Squisher
This happens to me as well. I get shocked on everything in the wintertime. My insert has gotten me good a few times over the la past two days, perhaps because it's grounded due to the blowers?

At any rate, I've found that indirectly discharging the static helps. During the winter, I tap many metal objects with my keys before I touch them. It seems to help.

I don't have that issue with me, but my poor cat is the static king, every time he jumps up on the couch and rubs his head into me he gets whacked.

Man EVERY time i touch my damn stove, the tv, dvd player or pretty much anything else in my den electronic or metal i get a static shock thats starting to make me twitch and flinch like a university test subject. It's starting to affect my sanity. I gather its from the dry air in the house which now that i think about it also causes me nose bleeds all winter long. I tried a kettle of water on the stove, that doesnt seem to help. Really not keen on the idea of buying a humidifier either but im starting to think maybe thats my only option or wear gloves anytime i touch something.
I feel your pain!
I find it to be much worse when I wear my Crocs. Ever rub a balloon on your head?
I have a lot of electronics in the house also, which I'm in constant fear of harming.

May just be my electric personality.

When I have on rubber-soled slippers/shoes/etc. and touch the damper, I get the same thing. When I take off my slippers/shoes, the static shock goes away. I have read that low RH can cause this phenomena, but at least in my case, I'm postulating that it is the footwear.

I've also used the technique of quickly "discharging" myself on the damper handle before moving the rod...

I suspect the soles of your footwear are insulating your body from the ground building up a larger negative charge potential on your body. Then when you touch something that has continuity to ground you are feeling the discharge jumping to ground (the arc). You can lessen the impact by raising the humidity and holding something conductive in your hand and touching it to something that's grounded (your stove).