Elite 44 new owner operating questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drivfour

Mar 22, 2011
foothills colorado
Just installed couple weeks ago. Manual does not provide good info on burn temps- I installed a thermocouple and digital readout ($14) in the cat. since the flue is double walled, cant read that anyway. Question is what is the upper limit for the cat? witha small to medium fire I am seeing over 1100 F in the cat. manusl says do not overfire. no info on limit or how to measure. heating vaulted ceiling main room very well- bedrooms down the hall not.
the blower fan takes way to long to come on so I installed the summer switch to get it going earlier.
also noticed that since the box is bringing COLD air in, the metal box is cooling area around stove as we have not enclosed it yet- put some foam sheets on the sides- huge difference-

Thanks

Question is what is the upper limit for the cat? witha small to medium fire I am seeing over 1100 F in the cat. manusl says do not overfire.

Quick search turns this up: http://dec.alaska.gov/air/doc/ws-cat-txt.pdf , "Catalyst temperatures of 1000ºF or more are
typical in normal operation."

It gives a recommended top temperature further down but would be better to check with manufacturer of stove or the cat.

I think the overfiring refers to the general stove temp. The stove body should stay below about 800F. A cat cruising in the 1000-1400ºF range is just doing it's job.

Try to keep her under 1600. You may see some spikes above that but continous temps above 1600 will degrade the cats life.

Status
Not open for further replies.