"ember only protection"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah that was straight from the guy at jotul North America. Adding a metal plate 1” off the wall seems like a very cheap form of safety. Btw, what do you think about me making a 5x10 notch in the bottom of the wall heat shield for the furnace heat register (not a return unfortunately)?
Be glad that is a supply. Returns must be at least 10 ft away from the stove. If it was a return it would have to be capped off or the stove relocated. I would not notch the shield. If the supply grille is shallow, the warm air from the supply will not be significantly blocked.

Be glad that is a supply. Returns must be at least 10 ft away from the stove. If it was a return it would have to be capped off or the stove relocated. I would not notch the shield. If the supply grille is shallow, the warm air from the supply will not be significantly blocked.
Thank you! I didn’t know about 10 foot from return, in fact I never really even thought about that aspect, but it seems logical.

I didn’t know that either. I have a return in the floor between the stove and the wall.
That definitely is against mechanical code. If it is removed and blocked off, be sure to replace it with another return intake of the same size located away from the stove by at least 10'.

And it can be quite dangerous

And it can be quite dangerous
Yes, particularly if the stoves OAK is sitting right next to the return vent. That is not an area where you want something sucking air.

Reactions: bholler
Thinking about this, I would be sure the HVAC is turned off while using the stove. You don't want it coming on in the middle of the night when the stove is in the coaling stage. Be sure the CO detectors have good batteries!

I turn the furnace off when there’s a fire in the stove but it sounds like I should wait until there’s no coals at all before I turn it back on.

I turn the furnace off when there’s a fire in the stove but it sounds like I should wait until there’s no coals at all before I turn it back on.
Coal are when it is most dangerous

What does OAK stand for?

back on topic...I’ve been thinking of 1/8”-1/4” steel plate for ember protection. I like the idea that it will be shiny where the high traffic area is but I don’t want the rest of it to rust. I’m thinking of a clear coat or wax that will wear away at the high traffic area but seal the rest so it won’t rust.

What does OAK stand for?

back on topic...I’ve been thinking of 1/8”-1/4” steel plate for ember protection. I like the idea that it will be shiny where the high traffic area is but I don’t want the rest of it to rust. I’m thinking of a clear coat or wax that will wear away at the high traffic area but seal the rest so it won’t rust.
Out door air kit