1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

emergency power for pellet stoves

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by MCPO, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    ...........has to be a valid consideration for pellet stove users.
    Having been in the electrical trade all my life I own 2 generators and have a professional hookup but for those who might be looking at an inexpensive emergency power option here`s a cheap solution.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/GENERATOR-1000-...yZ106437QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Not sure about the quality of this item but the price and size is right for a stove and some lights.
    Brand name generators are not much more .
    My smaller one is a 1500 watt Kawasaki. It`s enough for the pellet stove , refrigerator , plus a few lights. Or I can run my oil furnace instead plus refrig and lights.
    These smaller generators are quiet and normally run for 6-8 hrs on a gallon of gas.
    Should be good enough to get you through a blizzard.
    I always felt more secure with a wood stove though. Everything has it`s trade offs.
    John

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pete324rocket

pete324rocket Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    albert county, new brunswick
    That generator looks similar to the one we bought at the local wal-mart for about the same price.It ran the microwave and the t.v. but it wouldn't run the pellet stove-it seemed to mess with the electronics and act wacky.A very quiet generator for a 2 stroke.
  3. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    I`ve since read a bit about some of those small inexpensive generators being unruly and consequently I decided to put a meter on both my generators just to check voltage and fluctuations. Both generators were putting out very low voltage of around 102 volts. I adjusted the output voltage to 115v on both of them . My Harman P38+ runs flawlessly on both the 3KW and even the small 1500 watt Coleman (Kawasaki engine) .
    John
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.