Emergency Response to Serious Over Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard tell that a good way to quench a runaway fire without making too much mess is to dunk a toilet roll in the bowl, and toss the whole soggy thing in there. Seems reasonable, since the steam and water should cool it off and extinguish some flames, and any residue left over is just paper anyway. Anybody care to comment?
Flush first?

I've heard tell that a good way to quench a runaway fire without making too much mess is to dunk a toilet roll in the bowl, and toss the whole soggy thing in there. Seems reasonable, since the steam and water should cool it off and extinguish some flames, and any residue left over is just paper anyway. Anybody care to comment?

I think thats a bad idea.

Depending on how bad the overfire was when you found it, you might need that TP (along with some new undies). :)

In seriousness, I have no idea if thats something that would work or not....

Reactions: David.Ervin
A few times I've left the side door cracked too long allowing the stove to get way too hot for my liking but completely closing off the air intake worked very quickly to extinguish the flames and bring the temperature down. I guess if you have air leaks blocking off the air intake might not be as effective but it's still worth doing because it's gotta help.

I'd bet a chimfex chimney fire extinguisher would slow it down really quick

I keep 2 in the hearth room.
I think those are designed for chimney fires, not stove over-fires.

Besides, those cost like $25!.:eek:
Turning on the fan and opening the stove door is cheaper . ;)

Pook used to suggest having a plastic bag filled with wet newsprint near the stove. Toss it in and close the door quickly. The plastic will instantly melt and dowse the fire.

Last edited:
This brings an interesting and important point up that I hadn't considered throughly enough; training occupants on over-fire procedures. My wife is not known for staying focused on mechanicals when there are other things to think about, which includes everything else in the world. I've been assuming that shutting the damper will tame any over-fire but I should have backup plans in place as well. I wonder if I can convince her to open the stove door and throw a half a glass of water on a hot firebox then close the door again...
My wife would never believe me if it tried to tell her this.

Reactions: rideau
Toss water in there and instantly get a face full of blistering steam right back at you.

I've only experienced an over-fire once when I first started burning my first Clydesdale. I had reead about opening the door to allow the heat to escape up the chimney on this forum.. It worked like a charm. The stove was back down to reasonable temps within about 5 minutes.
What temp were you at? Mine got up 750 and I was panicking. Not sure what the maximum tolerance is for the clydesdale.

Toss water in there and instantly get a face full of blistering steam right back at you.
I can confirm this, I tossed a litre of water in my stove one time when I noticed the stove pipe was lit up, It put the fire in the pipe out but I did get a blast of steam and ash to the face. I don't think I'd do it for an over fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.