Emissions Education . F55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sutphenj

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2010
West MI
I'm installing an f55 (first stove) near the end of November and I noticed it is rated at roughly 3.5g/hr. Compare that to the 1.7/hr for the NC30.

Both are pretty simple tube stoves. Why is there such a big difference in emissions?

Despite reading very positive reviews at the end of the day is the f55 a "dirty" stove from an emissions standpoint?

Also will this stove be removed from Jotuls line after 2020 given the new requirements?

I wouldn't think its a dirty stove. Someone else will know more but I assume the higher emissions are because its a larger stove and can output more heat.

My Jotul F45 is similar but smaller and I would say it burns very clean. The chimney only smokes visibly on startup, the rest of the time the "smoke" is clear.

Yeah that makes sense relative to the f45 (smaller firebox).

The NC30 as an example actually has a bigger firebox but with half the emissions. Perhaps it has to do with how the stoves are run (i.e. NC30 runs hotter perhaps?)

I don't know the answer, but I have an F55 and I burn dry wood in accordance with the manual recommendations and once it's up to temperature I can't see anything but the heat signature coming out of the chimney. Less than scientific, I know, but I think either of those stoves will be pretty clean if you burn dry wood and actually burn it.

Thanks Knots....Good to know the F55 has a clean burn profile.

Wonder if she gets the boot in 2020?

My F55 burns clean as well, and the glass stay very clean. I have noticed that the F55 has three rows of "burn tubes", while other stoves in this size range have 4 burn tubes. I'm not sure about the NC 30, maybe @BrotherBart could help?

4 tubes in the 30-NC.

Only 2 tubes in the Avalon Rainier yet it comes in at 2.0gm/hr EPA testing. I sometimes think it's just the weather on the day of the test and other variables that explains some of these discrepancies. Certainly when you buy dimensional lumber it is not all the same. Some is heartwood and some is sapwood. Some grew slower at higher altitude or in a drier area and the wood ended up denser. Testing is expensive and I expect up until the new regs that many mfgs. just said "good enough" for the day's testing results.