Empire Vail Vent Free Odors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chilehead

Dec 18, 2019
Greenville, SC
Hello, first post and thanks in advance for any advice!

I recently had a Vent Free Empire Vail fireplace installed. I read that it could take a few hours to 'burn off' a new fireplace and log set smell, so I think I've gotten past that stage. The odor is less, but still there. I have a suspicion that its because my pilot is huge and constantly has direct contact with the log (not supposed to have flame contact log, correct?). The log is red where the pilot flame touches it. There is a Pilot ADJ screw, but it seems to have no affect on the size of the pilot. I'd like to try to adjust the pilot down. How can I do this? Any other tips on getting rid of odor and do you think that is the source?

Thanks!!

Call your dealer or gas company to check out the gas supply system. A pilot, especially on a vent free unit should not impinge on anything. Vent free pilots are precisely set. This would have been picked up at install time. I would speak with the service manager directly and make sure you get someone who knows what they are talking about. This is not a diy job on a new unit. Also, go buy a CO detector...NOW.

Had a guy check it out today and he says he does not smell or detect anything off, but after leaving it on a few hours, there is a definite smell. What could it be? We have 2 CO detectors and no alarms.

Get used to it. Household vented (NOT vent-free) appliances burn not only the fuel in the gas line, but everything else that floats in the air of your home. That can be aerosol sprays, dust, cat dander, dog hair, etc. Nature of the beast. I wouldn't burn one in my home. You may also have problems with unfinished wooden doors & windows. For every therm of fuel you burn, you're putting ONE GALLON of water vapor into the household envelope & that will be absorbed by the wood, causing them to swell & rendering them inoperable. Good luck.

i knew id get comments about "household vented" but the odor is from none of those things (plus a little moisture is welcome on dry, cold winter days). It smells like some gas is not getting fully burned as it passes through the pilot. Is that possible? No leaks found in piping under the fireplace.

I found the following comment on another website: "it is possible for a pilot light to have unburned gas / odorant escape good enough burning to eliminate the odor - either by the fringes of the flame not totally burning or by flow from the pilot orifice which does not pass directly to the pilot flame. " If thats the case, does anyone know a fix?

Constructive comments about possible pilot issues welcome instead of vent free fireplace bashing.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Not bashing, just voicing an opinion.
Worked in the hearth industry for 12 years,
went elsewhere & am now back.
The owner of the business wouldn't even
consider them, so I admit I have no specific training.
I have replaced them tho, with DV products for the reasons I cited.
These things ARE problematic.
I will leave you to await answers from another tech.
Hopefully he will give you good advice.
Later.