Help needed to understand a firebox.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jkbarry

Dec 12, 2023
Atlanta
I have a 10 year old home in Marietta, GA (I was first owner) that had a fireplace built in the basement with a vent free prefab firebox but no gas logs.

We finally bought logs and had the installed to find the gas wasn't working

Ive had 3 different plumbers and none can find the gas cut off or even a gas line going to the fireplace. They think the builder missed it

In order to install the gas line they wang to cut a hole in the metal plate behind the brick pieces that came out of the firebox. Is this dangerous? Is there an easy way to remove the firebox and put it back after plumbing the gas line?

Thanks in advance.

20231211_221909.jpg 20231211_221913.jpg 20231211_221916.jpg 20231211_221922.jpg

Cut the hole thru the metal, then line up the inner side refractory & mark the location of the hole on the back side of the refractory. Drill a small pilot hole thru the refractory from the back, then flip it over & drill the gas line hole thru from the front side. You should be good to go.

Thanks for the reply, he is saying he needs a large hole 12 inch by 12 inch so he can run the new gas line down the wall and has room to get his hands in the back to tie it in to the existing pipe he says the gas pipe isn't hooked up to anything.

If he cuts out a large piece of the sidewall, I suggest that he only cut it on three sides, & then bend it inwards for access to the plumbing. Once he’s done he can bend it back & seal it with aluminum tape, before replacing the refractory. I wouldn’t try to put a screw into it. It may fracture.

If he cuts out a large piece of the sidewall, I suggest that he only cut it on three sides, & then bend it inwards for access to the plumbing. Once he’s done he can bend it back & seal it with aluminum tape, before replacing the refractory. I wouldn’t try to put a screw into it. It may fracture.
Thanks so much