Running new Gas line from NG main to Fireplace, what materials?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TylerR55

Jun 26, 2023
Indiana
Hey I'm new here. I have an Empire Comfort Systems DVD36FP30N direct vent gas fireplace that I am installing. I have to run a new line from my main NG line to the firebox through a very narrow crawl space and up through a hole in my wood floor, then into the bottom of the fireplace itself. I'm hiring a plumber to tie into the main NG line, which will be about 10 feet away. I talked to one plumber who said I had to use black steel pipe into the firebox itself, but I could use CSST from the main line to the black pipe. Is this correct? Can someone tell me what I need to use from the main gas supply, through the crawl space, up through the floor, and then into the firebox? I currently have the old black stem pipe and a stainless flexible line that came with the fireplace. What else do I need? Thank you so much in advance!
IMG_0936.jpg

Hey I'm new here. I have an Empire Comfort Systems DVD36FP30N direct vent gas fireplace that I am installing. I have to run a new line from my main NG line to the firebox through a very narrow crawl space and up through a hole in my wood floor, then into the bottom of the fireplace itself. I'm hiring a plumber to tie into the main NG line, which will be about 10 feet away. I talked to one plumber who said I had to use black steel pipe into the firebox itself, but I could use CSST from the main line to the black pipe. Is this correct? Can someone tell me what I need to use from the main gas supply, through the crawl space, up through the floor, and then into the firebox? I currently have the old black stem pipe and a stainless flexible line that came with the fireplace. What else do I need? Thank you so much in advance!View attachment 313556
Not sure what the local codes specify in your area, but here in NY, we run CSS from the main right into the fireplace. The problem you may run into is that only a CSS certified installer can buy CSS, at least that’s the case with WardFlex pipe. We put a sediment trap ( aka “drip tee”) on the main with a shutoff, & then install another shutoff at the fireplace.

@DAKSY thanks for the reply. I tried to look at the residential code for Indiana but I have no idea what to look for regarding the CSST inside the firebox. One of the plumbers I talked to said it HAS to be black steel pipe inside the box, so that's what I'm trying to confirm. If that's the case, I need to figure out how to transition from CSST coming up out of the floor to black steel pipe, then right angle into the firebox. Seems to me like your idea would be easier: CSST straight to the fireplace gas valve.

I would go into the box with black pipe and put a union, shutoff, and dirt leg just outside the appliance. Whether you run through the crawlspace with CSST or black pipe is up to you and the building inspector. Around here CSST has a reputation for getting pinholes due to lightning strikes but that could be urban legend. Anyway I would use black pipe if feasible because it's much cheaper and lasts forever. Oh and use pipe dope on the joints.