Hook Gas Fireplace up to Remote Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

decad1

Sep 29, 2023
2kF#LvrK4Jhh
I've got a gas fireplace with that switches on and off. As I understand it, I can put a wifi switch running to a thermostat that will start/stop it when needed. What I need is a way to have a wifi connection between the gas fireplace in the basement to a smart thermostat upstairs that I can use to turn the gas fireplace on/off. Can I start the fireplace remotely through wifi without running a thermostat cable through the wall?

I want the option to be able to use the gas fireplace to keep the upstairs from freezing on the weeks I am away from the house without running the furnace. Is that possible?

Thanks!

The controls on the fireplace would have to be electrical (preferably low voltage). Most I have seen are mechanical. Need to know the fireplace model.

I got home last night and took a picture of the metal tag under the fireplace. Thanks for the help!

20231004_183509.jpg

If your indoor air quality is of any importance to you, you would be much better off running your furnace, or installing a direct vent gas fireplace. Like someone else mentioned it is household vented which means all the nasty stuff from burning gas ends up in your home.

Yes if it is unvented it is for intermittent, attended use.
Also since I don't see electrical ratings on the nameplate, there really isn't a safe way to remote control it without adding valves which would void the listing and put you at fault if something should happen.