1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Empyre Elite 100 Pounding out the heat

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by willyswagon, Jan 4, 2013.

1. muleman51

muleman51 Member

Loc:
    SE Minnesota
    I appreciate everyones concern about the wood. I have burned wood for 40 years. I know not to burn wet wood. For the first 4 months this year I had wood that had been split and racked for over a year. I do not cut any live trees in the first place. I tend to only cut dead wood that has lost its bark. Most of it is as dry as bowling pins. I have cleaned this boiler every Saturday morning since I have owned it. I will get the tubes polished down this weekend. There is not a creosote build up in the boiler. And I have not chopped up the interior of my boiler yet to see if it has plugged passages. If Pro Fab knows this is a problem, in the new ones do they have acsess ports already in the boilers or do you have to butcher a new boiler. My boiler just does not perform the way it was sold to me., Jim

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. muleman51

muleman51 Member

Loc:
    SE Minnesota
    Used my new tube cleaner this morning, it worked great. An 8dollar cutterhead from menards and 4 feet ot sealtite and a cordless drill. polished the tubes right up. ther was much less in them than I expected. May light a fire tonight just to see if it helped at all. Jim
    pelletdude likes this.
  3. chewy

chewy Member

Loc:
    Indiana
    Sweet!! Keep us posted.

Erin
  4. muleman51

muleman51 Member

Loc:
    SE Minnesota
    Had to light the boiler tonight. It's SNOWING, already have at least three inches, supposed to snow for the next 48 hours. this is some kind of a cruel joke. Last year I had my corn all planted by now. I can't even drive on the fields yet. Staying right around freezing for the next three days. I was hoping not to even start the boiler again.
  5. chewy

chewy Member

Loc:
    Indiana
    Muleman, man that sucks. 48 hours of snow in may??!!! I hear ya though about the corn, we can't get in the feilds yet either. Haven't even knifed the anhydrous yet. What a difference a year makes. We had like 5 days in the 80s in feb 2012!

Erin
  6. muleman51

muleman51 Member

Loc:
    SE Minnesota
    Weather Update. At 5am 12inches wet snow on deck, still snowing hard even now. 8 inches of snow on 5/4 deck rail. Snow is so heavy that I'm putting on my small bucket on my tractor to plow snow, not a small tractor either (90 hp 7635 NH front wheel drive) . My boss has told everybody to just stay home and I just work in the shop don't even go out with the crews. Called my seed dealer neighbor and told him I wanted to change my corn (joking so far) he said he wanted to also. He doesn't have power (REA) , I do (NSP) . He had seed semi's coming this morning said they got them stopped before they got out of Iowa. This will be with us a little while. The boiler is churning out heat , one good thing this morning. Jim
  7. arbutus

arbutus Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan UP
    Do you think polishing the tubes helped?
  8. chewy

chewy Member

Loc:
    Indiana
    +1
  9. muleman51

muleman51 Member

Loc:
    SE Minnesota
    Pretty hard to tell as it is 38* out now and was only 31* last night and down to 32* tonight. I hope it helps but as I said there really wasn't that much in them. The snow has collapsed but still all here. Should be a wet weekend. Supposed to hit 51* . Jim
  10. arbutus

arbutus Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan UP
    How much heat do you Empyre owners estimate is lost through the shell of the unit? Enough to warm its own small space, a garage, or near none?
  11. muleman51

muleman51 Member

Loc:
    SE Minnesota
    The Elite will heat a very small space. It does a very good job of retaining heat. My boiler room is 8x20 and stayed in the forty range this year.My old boiler would be well over 100*.