Empyre Elite boiler corrosion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

logger6644

Jan 30, 2013
Upstate New York
I'm halfway through my second heating season and I have a boiler leak due to creosote corrosion. It is on the right side near the front under the vertical side firebrick. Just under the failure site is a duct which directs air to the secondary burn chamber. For some reason which I don't understand this duct is open on it's top edge so air (oxygen) can escape under the firebrick. Also the shape of the inside side wall of the boiler tend to direct any creosote formed in the upper burn chamber to flow down the side and go under the firebrick where it accumulates. So molten creosote plus oxygen equaled the rather thin, 10 gauge, boiler wall to corrode through in a little over one season. I purchased this Elite 100 in Dec. 2010, installed it the summer of 2011. Has anyone out there had similar problems?

Attachments

• Damaged area and air duct.jpg
    Damaged area and air duct.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 113
Status
Not open for further replies.