Empyre Elite II 200 gasification boiler FAN HELP PLEASE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Roundgunner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2013
Rural CT
I am still fixing and repairing my discontinued PRO-FAB Empyre. I have done a lot of things and will answer anyone’s questions if I can. I can’t be the only one out there limping one of these along with no factory help.

I have replaced the fan a couple times. Last February I got one rated at 150 CFM. It got me thru the rest of the heating season and heated the pool now and again thru that season but it never seems to get the secondary burn chamber roaring like it should. Sometimes it seems like it will never get enough air to ignite the lower chamber. It has a hard time even keeping the flapper valve open so I’m pretty sure it is not giving me 150 CFM

I bought this fan rated for 196 CFM. When I plugged it in on the bench it really blew air!

I don’t know much about electronics but I wonder if these 3 leads can be used to slow it down if I think it is getting too much air. If so is there a simple way to rig it without buying a speed control switch?

voltage: 110V /60HZ; Input Current: 1.10A; Input Power: 120W

Speed: 2600r/min; Air Volume: 196CFM (5.5m³/min)

Static Pressure: 350Pa; Noise: 72db(A)

Capa-Citance: 8.0/500μF/V; Weight: 2.5kg (5.5lb)

This fan can be widely used in extruder heat dissipation, kitchen equipment, electronic equipment, duct ventilation, aeration model, purification equipment, telecommunications and other fields.

196 CFM fan 2022.jpg 196 CFM fan wire2022.jpg IMAG0386.jpg

It doesn't look like it to me...why not buy a speed switch...one of those cheap router speed controls would work well...plug n play.
Amazon product ASIN B07T9BLJ7L
I'm not against buying a speed controller but I have no idea of what to get. I am concerned that it could blow too much air and get my weakened boiler too excited.

Do you have any suggestions for a controller? I will look on Amazon to see if I can learn anything and search this forum.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Amazon product ASIN B009Z147POThe pressure the motor produces is just as important as the CFM . This motor is an example it needs 13 amps .
Another thing I don't know how to read, but I understand the need. I will try to find the info on the blower I got in February but I know it sometimes doesn't have the pressure to open the flapper plate. It was supposed to be a replacement for the discontinued replacement of the Pro-Fab. 150cfm pretty sure.

I checked to make sure the flapper was clean and free. when heating the pool the boiler never goes to idle, With that (FEB) fan it will not keep the water hot, I have to choke the pool side of the heat exchanger flow with valving.

I'm not against buying a speed controller but I have no idea of what to get. I am concerned that it could blow too much air and get my weakened boiler too excited.
At 100% on the speed control, it will only blow the same amount as having the bower turned on the way it is now...then less as you turn the speed control down...it will not overdrive the blower.

Is this the kind of controller I'm looking for or should I look for something that this new blower just plugs into and forget about the leads coming out of the blower?

Amazon product ASIN B08HDDRBTG
You probably could use that...but why not make it simple and buy one like I linked earlier?

You see no link in post #2?
How about in Hobbyheaters post? There is one there too...

Reactions: Roundgunner
Try this one...
I can see this one. I was thinking maybe I had a setting set wrong.
Thanks, I will look at this in the morning, my eyes are so tired I cant even see the clock.

Much like you there was no support from Kerr for my Jetstream so I was on my own.
When my original blower ( a vacuum motor) packed up, I ended up mounting the motor remotely and piping the blower air to the boiler.
I ended up putting a gate valve in the pipe to dump excess air. ( not all motors are equal in pressure and flow )

IMGP3409.JPG IMGP3410.JPG

Reactions: brenndatomu
I can see this one. I was thinking maybe I had a setting set wrong.
Thanks, I will look at this in the morning, my eyes are so tired I cant even see the clock.
I got this in and I'm running it at medium speed. It seems so much better than the last fan. I'm having small water leaks but it's burning! My buddy welded on it for hours the other day but it is a loosing battle.
Funny thing, my wife was absolutely set on not replacing this boiler but is changing her mind watching our friends buying oil at over $5.00
I'm going to start looking at Central Boiler. Any thoughts?

I would really expand your list of company's to look at...

Reactions: sloeffle