Enamel to black?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashfan

Dec 12, 2007
Southwestern NH
I recently won an auction on ebay for some shelves for my refurbished (early 1980s) VC Resolute. The Resolute is a black stove but the shelves are enamel. I couldn't pass up the deal.

Can anyone recommend the right way to turn my enamel shelves black?

Hoping for an easy way (special paint?) that doesn't involve sandblasting or stripping the paint.

Thanks!

Wondering the same thing myself..... any one have any experience?

Can't say for sure if this would work, but I think you will need to increase the glossy surface roughness in order for the paint to stick. You could try to patiently sand the surfaces with some 120 grit emery paper. But with all the lacework on the shelves, that is going to be a tedious project. Then clean with lacquer thinner before applying hi-temp paint.

Sand/bead/walnut shell blasting is really the only way to get the enamel roughened up. Probably someplace near you where you could take the shelves and it shouldn't cost too much.

Flat black hi-temp will stick to the enamel without problem, assuming no stove polish has been used.
When touching up damaged areas of my stove finish, I've accidently gotten hi-temp black on top of the enamel finish. The black hi-temp won't come off the enamel with a fingernail or plastic pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.