enamel vs. cast iron

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2008
Montana
We have decided to purchase a Jotul Nordic and had decided to go with the black matte finish mostly due to the potential for chipping and then perhaps the cost. However, the dealer has 1 Nordic in stock and it is blue/black enamel finish. He says its been in stock for awhile so he's willing to deal and half the upgrade cost. So basically it would cost $100 more for the enamel.

Pros of Enamel
easy cleaning
no painting

Pros of Cast Iron
no chipping

Can we use a water pot on either stove (very dry climate)? Anything else we should consider? What would you do?

Thanks!

I don't know a lot about enamel as I don't really like the look but if you like it, it sounds like a good deal. I think the enamel is pretty durable so you'd really have to whack it to chip it. With either stove, you can just use a trivet to protect the stove.

Go for it and don't look back. That "waffle" top on the F100 is a groan to get the dust out of the little holes. Enameled finish would make it a lot easier. As well as to clean the rest of the stove. If you get the matte black one like mine think about what it is gonna take to clean it up and paint it every two or three years.

No contest. Do it. Besides, that blue/black finish of Jotul's is darn good looking.

On the water pot thing. Get a piece of ceramic tile at the box store to sit the pot on. Water that gets out will evaporate off the tile instead of hitting the enamel.

goldfishcastle said:
would i place the ceramic tile directly on the stove?

Yep. The only way to get sufficient heat transfer to heat the water.

It probably won't be big deal with the top of the Nordic and especially with the enamel (so this probably is more a note for others), but just be aware if you ever spill any water be sure to get everything off the stove and get it cleaned up. We missed a spill last year and ended up with a stain under the piece of soapstone we use under our kettle.

There is a big difference between majolica porcelain finish and the blue-black (and ivory) enamel finishes. It's a different animal. I like to think of the blue-black as something like a powder coated finish. It is tough and hard to chip. Enamel makes a big difference in keeping the stove looking like new. All it takes with the enameled finish is a sponge wipe.

FWIW, we have a old 602 in dark red (majolica) enamel about to go in our greenhouse. In spite of ~20 seasons of use and one rebuild, it has barely a chip on it. Take care of enamel and it will stay good looking.

Jotul enamel is very tough. This is our 10th year with a firelight CB with green enamel. No chipping. The blue/black matte, not being as glossy, I think would be even tougher -- or a least would't show sctatches. Go for it

Dexter

Now we want pictures of FIRE!

BrotherBart said:
On the water pot thing. Get a piece of ceramic tile at the box store to sit the pot on. Water that gets out will evaporate off the tile instead of hitting the enamel.

Excellent tip!

It's like a bra on a car. You know, those vinyl front end covers. You either use them to hide damage or you use them to create damage. I propose that using a tile or any other jive beneath your kettle will cause just as much damage as putting the kettle right on the stove. The two items of key importance are to not slide the kettle around on the stove and to be sure that no debris is stuck between the kettle and the stove. I put my kettle right on the soapstone and if the soapstone doesn't scratch then I don't think the enamel will.

Highbeam said:
It's like a bra on a car. You know, those vinyl front end covers. You either use them to hide damage or you use them to create damage. I propose that using a tile or any other jive beneath your kettle will cause just as much damage as putting the kettle right on the stove. The two items of key importance are to not slide the kettle around on the stove and to be sure that no debris is stuck between the kettle and the stove. I put my kettle right on the soapstone and if the soapstone doesn't scratch then I don't think the enamel will.

except any spilled water would stain the enamel - right? so it would be better for the pot to be on something incase a small spill occured?

goldfishcastle said:
Highbeam said:

except any spilled water would stain the enamel - right? so it would be better for the pot to be on something incase a small spill occured?
I have an F500 with the Blue/Black finish, after two seasons, there is not a scratch, chip, or even a mark on it. I have two kids that have thrown stuff at it, ran tricycles into it, wrote on it with crayons, it is nearly indestructible. We set the water kettle directly on top of it, not a spot, if spills occur they evaporate without any problems.

The risk of placing a tile as a trivet to catch the spills is that if any of that spill should make its way under the trivet your situation will be worse than if you let it set on top. How are you folks spilling water? I always refill the kettle right on the stove from a tea kettle and haven't had a spill yet. I honestly don't know why or if the water evaporating from the enameled surface would cause a stain.

I sure like the looks of the enameled cast iron and it would be a shame to harm it. I understand you want to protect it. Be sure that your protective measures aren't worse than the damage you are trying to avoid.

I once took a brand new pair of downhill skis and applied this thick clear plastic which bonded by adhesive to supposedly protect the ski's surface from scratches. Well the mess that I have years later is much worse than the scratches would have been.

Highbeam said:
How are you folks spilling water?

I get boil over more than spillage. But alas....the cast iron with grill top don't care. %-P

I am missing out on boil over with the stone. It doesn't get as hot as the cast. The one time I get a drip on the stove is when I remove the lid of the kettle and a drop of condensation will fall onto the stove leaving no marks. I suppose it is distilled water being condensate.

I want to see the new enameled stove the OP bought.

Highbeam said:
I
I want to see the new enameled stove the OP bought.

The stove and installers should arrive any minute! I'll get pictures up sometime this week.

I'm still thinking about the water issue. Good point that the tile could also scratch the stove. Its good to hear about the durability as well. Boil over could be taken care by not filling the water too high. Random drops, maybe don't take the lid off on the stove? Hmmm... it's not like there a "right" or "wrong" here. I'm thinking an upside down tile so that the smoother side faces the stove.

I just want to see the stove in my house :)

goldfishcastle said:
Good point that the tile could also scratch the stove.

Use a piece of soapstone. Problem solved.

I use a tea kettle that I refill at the faucet. I occasionally get a drip that disappears instantly, no problems.

Alright already. Just sit them suckers right on that enamel. It will be alright. Really. It will. Crazing in enamel was just a dream I had one night. :coolsmirk:

Yep, my hampton is enamal and I have a 70 dollar half kettle...the 25 dollar full kettle was too big :roll: If water hits the enamel it just goes fizz and leaves some minerals behind. Next time the stove cools enough just wipe it up...done deal....

Have an old 118 that looks beautiful with tons of years under it. My Oslo has 2 and is showing rust. I wish I would have gotten the enamel instead of the black.
Do it and don't look back.
My .02
Chad

I've got a several chips in my Blue Majolica Castine, all operator induced. A couple are from errant bumps with the poker or coal rake. But the others are from direct hits of the door latch on the stove front, which, unless you have the handle fully up when you close the door, guaranteed chips in the side. This is a spot Jotul could improve on, by either leaving this small area free of enamel, or better yet, armor this area (its small, maybe a half inch wide x an inch and a half high) with a sement of nickel. It would then match the door handle. FWIW, the door frame chips caused by the door latch are not noticeable when the door is shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.