Enclosing Pellet Vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

matt382

Jan 8, 2018
Oakhurst, California
Hello all and thank you in advance!

I am in the process of installing a pellet stove on an interior wall. I'd love to place it on an exterior wall, but there is a wide deck all the way around plus windows, so I don't want to even go there. Planning on using Pelletvent Pro, which list 1" to combustibles. Is it okay to enclose the vent in a cabinet or chase?

The stove will be placed against an interior wall in kitchen. Straight shot through wall and thimble, which goes into a large walk-in pantry... then tee, then up and out the roof. The only visibly exposed vent pipe will be inside the pantry, and of course the attic. I'm thinking of building a cabinet around the pipe with a door so that I can inspect and service the pipe and tee. I know I need to keep 1" clearance, but I can't seem to find out if I can actually enclose the pipe?

Best regards,
Matt

Sounds to me like it'd be easier and safer to go out by the deck. Take it up far enough where the exhaust exit is the appropriate safe distance past the windows. Could always put a guard around it if need be, but it probably doesn't get hot enough outside to even worry about that. I know mine doesn't, it's very hot inside but only lukewarm outside. Mine actually comes out on corner of the deck too, I took the exhaust exit up the appropriate distance for passing public walkways which I think was 7 feet. My cleaning crud stays outside too. Do you really want all that in your pantry?

Just my opinion, since I'd rather avoid running through walls, roofs, and attics as much as possible. And I'd definitely guard the pipe in the pantry, don't want anybody to get burned, or a box of something to fall off a shelf into it.

I think your local building inspector would be the determining factor as to what you can do.

Sounds to me like it'd be easier and safer to go out by the deck. Take it up far enough where the exhaust exit is the appropriate safe distance past the windows. Could always put a guard around it if need be, but it probably doesn't get hot enough outside to even worry about that. I know mine doesn't, it's very hot inside but only lukewarm outside. Mine actually comes out on corner of the deck too, I took the exhaust exit up the appropriate distance for passing public walkways which I think was 7 feet. My cleaning crud stays outside too. Do you really want all that in your pantry?

Just my opinion, since I'd rather avoid running through walls, roofs, and attics as much as possible. And I'd definitely guard the pipe in the pantry, don't want anybody to get burned, or a box of something to fall off a shelf into it.

I think your local building inspector would be the determining factor as to what you can do.
I agree with Tlc1976 on that,it's bad enough when u have to clean the stove!! Pipe in pantry,Asking for trouble!!! IMO..

Thanks you guys. I agree it would be much simpler on an outside wall. Being a fireman by trade, I just could never bring myself to vent it over a wood deck no matter what side of the house, haha!

As far as cleaning goes, I get that if this was all we had for heat, but it's not. It's supplemental only. I'm talking like 20-30 bags in a season. I would have never started down this road if not for the fact that there is an existing Class A chimney in the kitchen already. There was a wood cooking stove installed when we moved in, and we were never gonna use it. If I'm making a fire for cooking, I'm gonna BBQ. So, stove went to a homesteader and with the profits I'm doing this.

It's been hooked up "temporarily" 1.5 seasons to the Class A chimney, but I know I want to run pipe all the way to the top. The 4"-6" adaptor I see as a trouble spot for fly ash. I know I can line it, and that would be the cheapest way to go... I just figured as long as I am going all the way up I'd like to hide the pipe if I can. If I can't, then no big deal.

Thank you again, I sure do appreciate the help!

Thanks you guys. I agree it would be much simpler on an outside wall. Being a fireman by trade, I just could never bring myself to vent it over a wood deck no matter what side of the house, haha!

I had thought about that with mine. But then I figured in the rare case an ember were to make its way all the way through the venting system, how is it any worse than exiting over dry dead grass/leaves, or petroleum roof shingles?

When I clean mine it's cool, then I lay down a thin metal tray for the junk to go in (and try not to do it when it's windy). Here there's usually snow in the burning season, so whatever missed the tray gets shoveled off with the rest of the snow.

Looks like you'll get it figured out to your liking in a way that's safe.

Check the owners manual AND your local building codes. I would think that you could line/construct the box with a fireproof material. Having access doors for cleaning would be a no brained, just perhaps a little messy.