Encore 2550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

REMI

Nov 19, 2017
Tetonia, idaho
we bought this stove in 95 and have been burning it successfully for all these many years, I've replaced the cat once or twice but now am looking at replacing the firebacks and the refractory box, I've been searching online for parts but am wondering what the experts suggest as a good place to find good parts or is not worth putting this much money into this stove, at this point?
Thanks for your help.

A lot of people are going to tell you to replace it. Check out plumberssupply.com. Also read through the VC owners threads. Lots of information on the encore in there.

Correction. It's plumbersstock.com

I don't know how handy you are but if your going to replace the refractory and bricks you might as well tare the whole think down and do new stove cement and gaskets, It doesn't add much more time to the job, plus you will get a "like brand new stove" that will be trouble free for many years to come.

I don't know how handy you are but if your going to replace the refractory and bricks you might as well tare the whole think down and do new stove cement and gaskets, It doesn't add much more time to the job, plus you will get a "like brand new stove" that will be trouble free for many years to come.
A total tear down will add lots of time, and expense. If it really needs a total rebuild then I’d just replace the stove. The parts alone are going to cost more than the stove is worth if it was in good working condition.

Thanks for your suggestions, the stove is in great shape other than the cracked and warped parts in the firebox, the refractory is in really bad shape too along with a crumbling cat, you mentioned bricks? I'm not familiar with any bricks... do you all prefer the regular ceramic cat or a steel cat? This sounds like a big job, do do it in place or remove the stove to the shop for the repair?

K, hold up, the parts are pricey, like $600 plus shipping for the fireback replacement kit, but if it's been working well and it's a stove you like, I'd strongly consider the work. The kit, part number 5927, comes with instructions. Total teardown is not generallyneeded, but you should remove and reseal the top. Not only is it likely to need it, but it makes the inside work easier. You'll find the bck also comes off, but it too will need resealing, so all good. Lots of folx on here have done it, and it's a pain but usually worth it. Just buy the whole kit and don't piecemeal it, and get like 3 extra tubes of Rutland Furnace Cement as well. I've had a lot of experience with Woodmans Parts Plus. They have what you need (don't forget a gasket kit) and you can call if you wish and talk to a human being!

There are no firebricks in the 2550. Even though the rebuild is a little pricey and time consuming I'm still going to do it on my encore. In the end it is still cheaper than a $3000.00 new stove. So I say rebuild and get another decade or so out of it. And start saving for its replacement down the road.

A total tear down will add lots of time, and expense. If it really needs a total rebuild then I’d just replace the stove. The parts alone are going to cost more than the stove is worth if it was in good working condition.
The reason why I suggest the rebuild is because there might be air leaks which caused the inside warping and break down of the refractory. I just help my friend rebuild his VC and it was very easy to put back together, since the OP is going to replace all the hard stuff, resealing with gasket's and cement should not add that much additional time, just a little elbow grease to clean all the old cement off the castings, but that's just my opinion.