Encore glass gasket replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whoppr

Jan 25, 2013
Hi...

I have a VC Encore stove (2550) and am trying to replace the gasket between the glass and door. I have done this before and recall it being a pain without cement, but dont recall it being this difficult. Usually am able to get the gasket to rest in the channel, lay the glass on top and then screw it down and use a Popsicle stick or something to push the gasket back in where it presses out. Right now I cannot even get it to sit in the channel.

I recall years ago someone from VC saying not to use cement and have never had to. However with all the trouble I am having I thought of taking a toothpick or something and tack the gasket to the channel in certain spots to get it to stay.

Any thoughts out there?

i usally try and pull the gasket straight first so if i lay it on a flat surface it stays in a straight line. Then i start in the middle somewhere and work my way around bending the gasket at each corn. When i bend the gasket i actually fold it over on it self where i think the corner is and pinch it tight between thumb and finger. It usally will maintain a 90 degree corner for 1/2 hour if left on the table. When i put the glass in i try not to knock any out, but if i do its not too big of a deal as i use a small flat screwdriver to push it back in place. At the worse it takes about 20 minutes to change that blasted gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.